Fluency Testing

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by aek471, Oct 23, 2008.

1. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I was hoping to test my 1st graders on their fluency, but I am struggling with how to do it. Does anyone know of any resources/formulas that would help? I can't really buy or order anything big right now, but if you know of a book, or a website or something I could use it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

i was just talking about this today...this is what I am going to do from now on- it's what the other 1st grade teacher does...use the next story in their readers for a cold read since they haven't seen it before...i'm going to pick a page with about 50 words on it, 2 points per word- this will be their oral reading grade- how they read-fast, slow, choppy etc determines their fluency grade; write up a few questions for them to answer orally for a comp grade ...up until now- 3 years into teaching- I have just given one grade- which was not exactly accurate because they could read the words but they were not fluent...

4. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Try doing words per minute. What you do is...get a book that the student can read with 90-95% accuracy then get a timer. Underline the last word they read. And calculate how many words per minute. I usually do it twice with the same reading at two different spaces in the book. and then i might average it out. I use a graph. It is really helpful. I have always heard that the average first grader should read about 60 words per minute but I am not really sure. If someone knows exactly how many words per minute please let me know. But my average one read about 45 words per minute so far this year!!!

If any body else knows anymore information about doing words per minute please post, becuase this is my first year doing it, and I would like to know more. Thanks

oh! JI am sorry---did I highjack your post:)

5. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

When I test my kids I find simple passages on grade level (passages from their readers would work..) and have them read as far as they can in a minute. I figure their words per minute score and their accuracy rate (how many words correctly read divided by number of words read). By this point in the year I look for my kids to be between 20-30 wpm (words per minute) with at least a 90% accuracy rate. By April/May I expect 55-60wpm with a 90-95% accuracy rate. I put more weight on accuracy than speed, but both are important.

If you google Dibbles, that is one way to test them, and it is a free download. Running records can be self made and scored like above.

Amy said:"'I'm going to pick a page with about 50 words on it, 2 points per word- this will be their oral reading grade- how they read-fast, slow, choppy etc determines their fluency grade; write up a few questions for them to answer orally for a comp grade ...up until now- 3 years into teaching- I have just given one grade- which was not exactly accurate because they could read the words but they were not fluent..."

I don't grade these, they are to determine progress, not to give a letter grade like A,B,C, etc. I think that simple facts are easier to understand & easier for parents to understand if you share the results with them. These tests should be for you to use to determine what you need to focus on with each child, not to give a letter grade on. Remember that many 1st graders don't have reading "click" until December, so don't freak out when you have some reading really slowly. Keep working more intensely with those that don't "get it" rather than those who have already mastered the word reading.

I'm writing a novel now.. I'll stop. Feel free to PM me if you want more help.

6. horns#1

horns#1 Rookie

Nov 22, 2008

I do fluency testing in my class and I use this formula to calculate words per minute....

# words read x 60 divided by how many seconds it took student to read= words per minute

If they do 60+ wpm= 100
    50-59 wpm= 90
    40-49wpm=80
    30-39wpm=70
    25-29wpm=65
    less than 25wpm= 50

In Texas, we require students to read 60 wpm on material at their grade level. So, that's where the 60wpm goal comes into play. Does that make sense?