Fluency passages

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, Feb 2, 2012.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 2, 2012

My class has Fluency Fridays. Basically, this means we read and reread poetry (so far) focusing on pacing, pausing, tone of voice, etc. I would like to incorporate passages as well because I have noticed in class some kids reading aloud blow past periods and begin reading as if the beginning is somewhere in the middle. Does anyone have a favorite website with reading passages that can be read aloud (maybe only a couple paragraphs as most) and are leveled for the different grades? I am really struggling to find any prose passages for these kids. Non-fiction would be great, but fiction works too. Thanks!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012

I don't have any suggestions for passages, but we do a fun activity to get them to pay attention to the punctuation. They write the alphabet, leaving spaces between random letters and then adding in punctuation. So, it may look like this:
    AB CDE FG, HI JK! LMN, OP Q RS T. UVW? X, Y, Z.

Then, they practice "reading" it according to the punctuation marks. I have partners exchange and practice each others, etc. It's a good intro/reminder activity.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2012

ama---sounds like fun!

Our textbook series comes with tons of reading fluency passages for the kids to use to work on expression and rate. Not sure if you have a basal series, but I thought I would throw that out there.

You may also want to try searching for CBMs for reading fluency. These are like the aimsweb passages that students read for one minute. You might find some free ones.

5. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Feb 2, 2012

You might want to try www.fcrr.org Look under "Student Center Activities"

I currently use Word Speed with my 3rd graders. There are different types of fluency passages and they're sorted by grade band.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 4, 2012

mopar, we do have basals, but the series is more than 10 years old. I am fairly sure they did not come with fluency passages. I am not the reading teacher. I will look into this.

Thanks for the site, MsDeb. I will check it out.