Fluency? HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jeljohns, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

This year our school is restructuring things completely different. I am an ELL teacher, but this school year I will be required to teach reading to all students (not just ELL). I will have to teach 3-5 students at a time in 15 minute rotations. About 12 groups or more a day. I'm really stressed out because I have to teach fluency that whole time, to each group, every day. I think teaching fluency is pretty boring and the students HATE reading things over and over to practice it. I need some great ideas, lessons, books, websites....anything!! The other issue is that some of my groups have very low readers mixed with high readers, so giving them all one passage will not work. Reader's Theater has been done to death at my school too so the kids are pretty sick of it. I'm looking for lessons that are fun and engaging.

I'm pretty stressed, help!

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I use poetry... it's short, easy, and can be rich with vocabulary and humor. My faves are Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky, although I've found other random books that have silly school-related poems. Not sure what grade you teach, but I've used poetry with first graders through fifth graders.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2009

If you use poetry, though, please be sure to throw in, from time to time, a poem that needs to be processed more slowly and carefully, and show kids how reading it aloud to themselves fluently can help them understand it. Fluency's useful, but there's more to reading than that: see Cris Tovani's I read it, but I don't get it.

5. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

This year I will have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders!

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Somethings we do-

-riddles and jokes
    -poems
    -students tape record their reading and listen
    -graphing of words per min.
    -tongue twisters
    -choral reading
    -practice "scooping" sentences

I am usually happy with ideas from Timothy Rasinski's books/ presentations on fluency. Do a google search and you will find some of his books/ activities.

Did you say you only have 15 min per group? Here is an example of what I might do one week:
    Mon: Have students pick a poem and read it quietly/scoop it/ take it home
    Tues: Students read same poem to partner/ flip flop/ peer critique
    Wed: Students read into tape recorders and listen to their own. Students read it again with changes/ self critique
    Thurs: Students present poem to whole group
    Friday: Mini lesson on a fluency skill

Since students have a variety of reading levels, be sure to have appropriate materials for them to choose from

7. SHF4EL

SHF4EL Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

The ideas given to you are great. I would also incorporate some questioning or retelling of material read to determine comprehension.

8. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

Thanks for the ideas!

What is "scooping"?

9. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I love to use funny songs too. Books like "Take Me Out of the Bathtub" are great because they talk about things kids think are funny - smelly diapers, too much homework, things like that. Jeff Foxworthy also came out with some funny song books too. You can do these either as songs or poems. And I don't envy you! Fluency all day every day may get a bit monotonous!

10. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

for some information on fluency you should check out the free podcast from Tim Rasinski on Itunes- it has a great amount of information, links and websites and classroom activities. The podcasts are sponsored by teacher created materials and can be found if you don't have an ipod at http://www.teachercreatedmaterials.com/podcasts/