Fluency activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, Oct 22, 2012.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2012

What fluency activities do you do in your classroom to boost your students' reading fluency? I'm looking for new ideas. :)

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 22, 2012

I do lots and lots of phonics reinforcement: I make flash cards of decodable words (words with the phonics skill/pattern). The flash cards have the phonics pattern underlined (this week it's "th"). We have a procedure I call line/word, where I show the card and say line, the kids (small group) say the sound of the phonics pattern, then I say word, and the kids say the word. Then I have small sentence strips (I bought mine at Dollar Tree) on which I have written 2-3 of the decodable words and/or phrases from a decodable story, and we play read-pass (all kids at the table get a strip, all read at the same time, then pass the strip to the right, and I give the student without a strip a new strip, while the last kid gives me his/her strip. We try to get fast with this one, and my kiddos love it. I do lots of CVC pattern work (we're not supposed to teach nonsense words).
    My kiddos listen to reading while they "read" along (about 1/3 of my kiddos are pretty much non-readers) - I spent a lot of money on audiobooks this summer.
    My kids do "buddy reading," where they are paired as follows: either 2 medium ability kids, or 1 low and 1 high ability kids.
    We do echo reading, where I read, then they read.
    We do choral reading.
    We read sight words.
    We read and edit sentences on the SmartBoard.

Is this kind of what you were talking about?

4. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 22, 2012

Flash Fluency

http://www.pepnonprofit.org/uploads/2/7/7/2/2772238/flash_fluency_tide_pool.pdf

This is a website called Flash Fluency with tables of sight words repeated in random order. The first 10 tables are "kindergarten" level. The students have to master the first table without messing up and within the given amount of time (1 minute or so). If 1 person in the class reads a sight word incorrectly, the whole class cannot move forward to the next table. The kids LOVE it (even at the 2nd grade level which is when I did it, although now I am kindergarten). They always brag about how easy the K list will be but it takes them so long to pass on to "first grade level" because I point to each word quickly and they have under a second to yell it simultaneously. There are so many ways you can make this fun for the kiddos, including answering in teams or individuals.

5. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 22, 2012

I do lots and lots of phonics reinforcement: I make flash cards of decodable words (words with the phonics skill/pattern). The flash cards have the phonics pattern underlined (this week it's "th"). We have a procedure I call line/word, where I show the card and say line, the kids (small group) say the sound of the phonics pattern, then I say word, and the kids say the word. Then I have small sentence strips (I bought mine at Dollar Tree) on which I have written 2-3 of the decodable words and/or phrases from a decodable story, and we play read-pass (all kids at the table get a strip, all read at the same time, then pass the strip to the right, and I give the student without a strip a new strip, while the last kid gives me his/her strip. We try to get fast with this one, and my kiddos love it.

LOVE THESE IDEAS!:love:

I do lots of CVC pattern work (we're not supposed to teach nonsense words). <--- What's wrong with teaching nonsense words?

PWhatley, are you still 1st grade? With 1/3 of the class non-readers? Or did you move down to K?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 22, 2012

I'm still 1st grade, but our district doesn't like to hold K kiddos back, apparently.

By teaching nonsense words, supposedly we sku the DIBELS results. Instead, my kids are playing games with tons of cvc nonsense words (and a few real ones sprinkled in), and aw shucks cards that cause them to give back all the cards they have earned, lol.

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 22, 2012

I use this program, too, but not whole class. I LOVE IT!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2012

Thanks for the ideas!

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012

There is a series of books called "I Read to You, You Read to Me." Some have poems, some have fables, etc. My kids enjoy practicing those with a partner.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 22, 2012

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 22, 2012

We are using a program called Reading Naturally. It has a free trial if you're interested. I like it, but only time will tell if it's effective.