Fluency Activities for upper elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MWMnElmed, Aug 3, 2011.

1. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 3, 2011

Does anyone have any ideas and recommendations for fluency activities for students in upper elm? I teach 4th grade I want to find methods to increase their fluency as they read independently and aloud.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2011

Last year I did two things that were very effective with the kids, and we spent no more than 10 minutes on them.

First, I did Superspeed 1000 with them. You can google it and download the PDF, which is from Chris Biffle (sp?).

Second, I printed a fluency passage each week from A-Z Reading. If you don't have a subscription, maybe there are some other places you can get them from?

Anyway, I paired kids up with someone on their reading level. I would use a timer, and they would read the passage aloud for 1 minute. Their partner had a paper too, and marker their stopping point. Eventually, I taught them the marks for skipped words and words they read wrong, just like when you do a running record. They used a different color pencil each day.

After they marked the stopping point, the other child would read the paper. Their partner marked their paper. They did this every day, Monday-Thursday and recorded their progress through the week on the bottom of the sheet, which has this number line on it.

The kids didn't LOVE the fluency passages, but they LOVED Superspeed 1000. So we did the fluency passage first, and then they would get to do superspeed.

I did this daily for 6 weeks at the end of the year. I didn't think of it until then!! I think it's a routine that would get boring if you did it every day all year, but if you do it for a few weeks, stop for awhile, and do it again, I think that would be good. They do have to do the passage each day so they can see their progress. They feel really good about making improvements.

You do have to talk to them a lot about NOT just reading fast, but reading with expression and for meaning. For your fluent readers, since they are already reading at or above level, you can give them longish poems to read, and ask them to read it expressively... I did this after awhile because some of my kids were already reading with expression and well above the expected for fluency. They were bored of the passages after about 3 weeks.

4. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

Read Naturally is an excellent program...

5. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 5, 2011

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll take a look.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2011

I find printing reader's theater scripts to be helpful. You can find lots of them online. :)

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

Tongue twisters!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2011

I use reader's theatre, poetry selections with many repeated readings and The Six Minute Solution.