Flu shot

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 31, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a flu shot this year?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. Don't know

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

Will you be getting a flu shot this year? Why or why not?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

Yes, because having the flu is miserable.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

Yes. I always get one.

I know I have a student this year who was out for ten days with the flu...Im all about getting my shot!

5. bowler

bowler Rookie

Aug 31, 2013

I always do...one more thing to try and stay healthy amongst all those germs.

6. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 31, 2013

Yes. I can't stand being sick.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

Yes. I usually do because I do not want the flu. My teaching partner was off for close to 2 weeks (the week before and after Spring Break) with it and wasn't feeling herself for almost a month and a half.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

Never have. I rarely get sick; I might get the sniffles/runny nose but nothing major like the flu. If I feel a cold-weather headache coming on, cough syrup does the trick.

But, I am always mentally/emotionally drained during the school year and there appears to be no shot for that.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

Had the flu in college...like getting hit by a mack truck in the chest (not that I ever have)!! Dr said did you get a flu shot...no, seriously I was like 22 & thought it was for "old" people. Have gotten the flu shot in this house ever since. Even my parents started getting them & my sis since then!!!
    Plus, my dr said I could potentially infect A LOT of people at college!!!

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

I will try to get one...last year I kept saying I would and then I never got around to it. I haven't had the flu since sophomore year of high school, but it was miserable enough for me to remember it very clearly. I knocked out all of christmas break.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

Waterfall..walgreens has them. I've gotten them there the past few yrs. Walk in and the do bill insurance.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

Is the flu shot considered preventative care? I have high deductible insurance (ugh) and they don't pay for anything other that preventative care (and they only pay for that b/c they have to under obamacare).

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

Not sure...check with your walgreens. Our ins used to pay a portion...now the whole thing.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 31, 2013

I won't be getting one. I've known too many people who have gotten flu symptoms from getting it and also I think it's contributing to the number of mutations we now have. I've never gotten one and never gotten the flu.

15. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 31, 2013

I got my flu shot yesterday. I get one because I had the flu a few years ago and I really never want it again. It was so bad. However, this is the first year that I am having a slight reaction to it. A little red and sore.

16. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 31, 2013

I probably will. I got sick last winter, and was mad at myself for not getting one then.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

No. I get sinus infections but rarely get the flu. I think the last time I had the flu, I was 8.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 31, 2013

I have had one every year since college, with the exception of one year when I couldn't because I was sick and another year when they ran out of vaccine.

Our state gives them free with our insurance.

I get it not only because I don't want to get sick, but because I don't want to risk passing it on.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2013

No, and I never have. It started because I avoid sharp objects puncturing my skin. They have alternatives now, but I'm still not interested. I shy away from modern medicine and such as much as I can.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

I have never had it, but after being out for three weeks last year, I will definitely be getting it this year!

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 31, 2013

Yes. I have elderly parents, and I don't want to accidentally expose them to the bug. That has happened before.

22. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2013

I get one every year. Our district provides them for employees, and spouses pay $20. I've never had a reaction, and it's a heck of a lot better than being sick as a dog and missing a week of work.

23. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 31, 2013

No. Like somebody said above, I know people who ended up with some form of the flu/ very strong flu symptoms after getting a vaccine.
    Also, don't forget, the vaccine is for one strain of flu only. So it's no guarantee you won't get the flu at all this year, just not that particular strain.

24. comaba

comaba Cohort

Aug 31, 2013

Granted there's no guarantee you won't get the flu, but the vaccine actually protects against the 3 most prevalent strains. I'll get one because they're free through my district.

25. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 31, 2013

I only got the flu shot one time in my life. I only had the flu one time in my life. Same year. I know they say that doesn't happen, but it did. I was sick for over a week. I literally thought I was dying.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

You cannot get the flu from a flu shot.

27. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Aug 31, 2013

I refuse to take the flu shot. I've only had it one time in my life when I was 11. Ever since then during flu season I load up on enteric-coated-multistrain-probiotics (the kind that need to be refrigerated), vitamin C, zinc, and I also take something called Oregacillin. Oregacillin will KNOCK any virus out of you. I've had "almosts" where you get that "I might be getting sick" feeling, and I always knock it out. So, no shot ever for me!

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 1, 2013

I get one every single year.

29. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2013

I got my first one ever at our all staff breakfast last week. They were free and my friends got one so I did too.

30. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

As someone said, the flu shot protects against the three most common strains of flu. It changes every year.

I will be getting one. I started getting them when I started working with children regularly. I can't think of a legitimate reason not to get vaccinated for a serious illness like the flu. People do die of influenza! While I probably won't die because I'm young and healthy, the flu is absolutely miserable and I'd prefer to avoid it.

31. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 1, 2013

You can get symptoms of it however. This is from Mayo Clinic's site:

"Some people experience muscle aches and fever for a day or two after receiving a flu shot. This may be a side effect of your body's production of protective antibodies. The nasal vaccine can cause runny nose, headache and sore throat."

32. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 1, 2013

I get one every year. I have asthma, which makes the flu more damaging if I do get it. A few years ago, I got H1N1 because it wasn't one of the strains included in the shot that I got. Another year, I got the flu early in the season before I had a chance to get the shot. It was so miserable both times, that I'll take the shot over the illness any day.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 1, 2013

Nope. Never have. I don't see myself getting one in the near future either. Did not even take one sick day last year...if I do end up getting the flu someday at least I have loads of sick days!

34. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

Yes. There are two reasons I get the flu shot:
    1) I got the flu once and I never want to get it again. Even my hair hurt and I can't figure that one out.
    2) Of all the H1N1 deaths in 2009, 2/3 of the children had developmental disabilities. I teach students with developmental disabilities and I don't want to get them sick. Hygiene is also a big concern. I'm sneezed on and coughed on daily.

35. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2013

Nope. I'm not in the critical age groups (children and adults over 60).

To me, it seems silly to get a vaccine every year against one strain of flu, when there are so many other strains floating around.

Now, if they ever invent a vaccine against the common cold, I will be all over it. First in line.

36. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 1, 2013

The muscle ache is localized to injection site, not body aches like the flu. I have gotten it every year since I started teaching and think it helps protect me, my students, and my own children. My kids had rsv and have a higher risk for lung problems as a result, so we get flu shots as soon as possible and they haven't gotten flu even though they are in daycare and I bring all kinds of germs home. Last year wasn't a bad flu year, but the year before we had several hundred students out each day at school and never caught it.

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2013

Even though I don't work with children in person every day, I do have several large professional development meetings and conventions right when flu season starts. Those include people who have small children. Having caught some nasty bugs second-hand (including H1N1 and the worst norovirus of my life), I protect myself from what I can with a shot of whatever they can offer me. My insurance considers this proactive and covers my copay.

38. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 1, 2013

Mine would be free, but I have a sensitivity to one of the ingredients in it, so I would think do it until I'm older, or if I have an immunity weakness or something. It's not something I'm allergic to, but it's bad enough that I would be pretty miserable for a few days.

39. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

I got one for the first time last year. Many students/teachers at my school were getting sick, and I didn't want to chance it. I think I'll wait to see the flu "outlook" this year before deciding whether to get one.

I do remember that "localized muscle pain" being HORRIBLE. I couldn't lift up my arm for a couple of days!

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2013

I had forgotten about the individual ingredients. There was talk about moving away from shots using eggs as an ingredient to either soy or shellfish. Rockhubby is allergic to both. This would be a problem.

41. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

It's been mentioned a couple times here that the shot has the three most prevalent strains for that year, not just one. Just want to clarify because there's already so much misinformation about vaccines out there.

I hope everyone is keeping up with their MMR and TDAP vaccinations because exposure to those could be devastating and life threatening to the children we work with if they haven't been vaccinated for whatever reason.