Flowers on Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by JWar417, Feb 8, 2007.

1. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I didn't know where to put this, but other teachers at work are already making me nervous, of course, they are all out to get one another...*sigh*

Anyway, this is my first year and my fiancee always sends me flowers at work. Is this acceptable at a school for a first year teacher or should I dissuade him from this practice this year? Thoughts?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 8, 2007

It wouldn't be a problem at my school!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2007

Some people do get flowers at work at my school. Mostly, however, it's the KIDS that get the flowers. It's a huge, huge mess on Valentine's Day.

DH won't send me flowers to work. He says it's just "showing off". Of course, after our first Valentine's day I told him that I don't really like them all that much anyway. I'm far too practical for cut flowers. LOL

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2007

It was done at my school before... personally, I would hate it.. I don't like the attention... but hey, if that doesn't bother you go for it.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 8, 2007

I don't see anything with teachers receiving flowers at school. This happens from time to time where I work, and nothing has ever been said against it. If the kids get flowers/candy boquets/etc. they wait until the end of the day to get them.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2007

I think it is romantic! But then, I'm a hopeless romantic at heart!:love:

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 8, 2007

I'm an aide and my husband has done either flowers or a balloon for valentines AND my birthday. Even when I didn't really have a desk of my own, it was nice to recieve them. The attention for the flowers wasn't nearly as important or great as everyone gushing about how great my husband is....and his GREAT!

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 8, 2007

Teachers in my school usually get flowers on V-day, and other important days.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

I have recieved flowers at work three times now. (twice the first year we were dating) and than again last year. I personally love it!

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

The flowers at school would be fine for my school. Most teachers get them on Vday (except for us single girls). The kids usually get TONS. Last year one my co-teachers had a barber quartet show up from her hubby. A few of us even get flowers from the kids.

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 11, 2007

I think it's great and I would not do anything to discourage him from doing so! It makes you feel great, doesn't it??

13. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 11, 2007

I, too, think it's okay (even better than okay!) to receive flowers at school. When I was a stay-at-home-mom my husband always sent me flowers for our anniversary...although, I enjoyed them, not nearly as much as I do now that I work and everyone at school sees me get them! I'm sure a professional would have a field day analyzing this particular confession...but, I don't apologize!! :)

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 11, 2007

Hehe, I'm secretly the same way. What's terrible is I sorta felt slighted last year because my husband found this HUGE balloon that LOUDLY sings "Happy Birthday" every time you jiggle it (easy to do). It had approx. a 50 song capacity. I work at a deaf school. Just about everybody around me is deaf. Umm....

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 11, 2007

I have never gotten anything at school that was not job related. I'm jealous of your singing balloon!

16. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 11, 2007

Hmmm...guess it didn't come with an ASL interpreter?! haha

Where do you work? My son attends the Indiana School for the Deaf, part time.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2007

It's awesome to get flowers at school- and it makes everyone else oooh and ahhh!! :)

18. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Feb 11, 2007

I personally would be embarrassed (just my personality), but I would not see anything wrong with it if someone else were to get flowers or anything else. Whatever makes you happy without distracting my class! : )

19. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Feb 13, 2007

Well, he sent flowers to me today, because tomorrow may be a potential snow day. Talk about unexpected! The secretary in the office called me during class to ask if it was my birthday. LOL. I guess flowers aren't that common. He's a teacher, too, so I figured he would be sensitive to recognizing the holiday in a school environment.