Flowers for Algernon

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by katerina03, Dec 13, 2008.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Dec 13, 2008

Has anyone read this or had their students read it. Did you enjoy it?I am considering it for my 8th graders.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 13, 2008

I remember the movie when I was that age. Very sad.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2008

We read it when I was in 9th grade...sad book, sad movie.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 13, 2008

I just asked my son. He read it in GT (8th grade) this year but only in school. I wasn't even aware he read it.

Here are some decent lesson ideas for it. http://www.abcteach.com/free/l/lit_flowersforalgernon.pdf

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 13, 2008

I read it a long time ago. It's really sad. I do know it's been banned in some high schools, so make sure that it's okay for where you're teaching.

7. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Dec 13, 2008

It's on our 8th grade reading list, so we have it in our book closet. For those of you who have read it, did you like it? Was it boring? I want something that my kids will want to read.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2008

not boring at all...well developed characters...written in a unique style- Charlie as the narrator tells the story through a series of 'progress reports'...

There was a 2005 remake of the movie with Matthew Modine.

9. Ross

Ross Comrade

Dec 14, 2008

I am talking to my son. His class read the book and he enjoyed it. He did not consider it boring.

I read the book and saw the movie. I also felt sad. I also thought there were many valuable lessons in the story. Lessons that would benefit many people.

10. MissR

MissR Comrade

Dec 14, 2008

I read it in 8th grade, I think. I remember it being very interesting and a good read.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 16, 2008

The shortened diary-novella version is in my 8th graders Literature textbook. The actual novel is pretty "adult."

It's one of my favorite units to teach! I love Charlie Gordon.

Yes, it's one of the top ten Banned Books, but so is The Diary of a Young Girl.

The kind of people who advocate censorship have no taste, no shame, and no brain.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 16, 2008

I don't advocate censorship at all, but the fact is that it IS on banned book lists and it's something that a teacher considering the book needs to be aware of. I personally thought it was a wonderful, increadibly thought provoking book and would love to see it taught more frequently, at least at the high school lelvel.

13. cjven

cjven Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

I teach "Flowers for Algernon" in my 8th grade literature class. It is a shortened version in our Literature textbook. The students enjoy it every year!

I didn't know they made a new movie?!

14. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Dec 20, 2008

I have read the shortened version that is in my 8th grade literature book with my students and they really enjoy it. We watched the movie as well but they did not like that as much as the book.

15. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 22, 2008

When I taught English, I used it. I actually like it, and many of my students did too. Naturally, some hated it, but it really is a good story. Also, me and the biology teacher prepared a lot of worksheets and activities to show the connections between ELA and BIO.

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Dec 22, 2008

Thanks everyone :thumb:

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 22, 2008

My son read it last year in school. I read everything he reads, so I also read it.

18. carlea

carlea Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

When I taught 8th grade, my students read the version in their textbooks. This was a group that overall did not like to read & they LOVED this story. We were able to do so many extension activities because they enjoyed the story. We also watched the movie, & they liked the book better too!

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 24, 2008

I taught the story when I fist started teaching it and HATED it. Ughh, absolutely couldn't stand it!

20. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 28, 2008

I loved the book! It was actually a short story by Daniel Keyes before it was it made into a novel. It was also made into a movie in 1968, called Charly. Cliff Robertson played the lead role, and won a Oscar for his performance. Great movie, too!

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

I taught it the first year I had 8th grade - again, it's in the Lit book and is on the scope! and my kids? Thought it was hilarious. Sensitive they were not. Open discussions on mental retardation and how such people are treated by society brought on fits of giggling. Lots of "Run Forrest!" being shouted.

Personally, I like the story - but I HATE the 8th grade curriculum. It is the WORST lit book!

22. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

I havent read it, why is it contraversial? Why is it considered "adult"?

23. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 16, 2009

I have not read it in years, but if I remember correctly, I think that Charly Gordon develops feelings for the female doctor who did his surgery. Also, it was really harsh, in that Charly was treated very badly by his coworkers.

24. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Jan 20, 2009

We do the short story version, and my eighth graders typically have a good discussion afterwards. We do a "four corners" discussion where 1=strongly agree, 2=somewhat agree, 3=somewhat disagree, and 4=strongly disagree. I then read statements about the ethical questions involved. They move to the corner and defend their opinion, and others can move if their minds are changed.