flow room - one hour class - activity ideas???

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Janetr, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Janetr

Janetr Guest

Aug 10, 2002

flow room

I have been offered a temporary position of leading in the flow room. (K-5) The previous teacher used games without any type of record keeping. I have been out of the public education arena for a number of years and the flow concept is new to me. (also, I really need to do well for future consideration.) Any suggestions, guidelines, or tips out there?:confused:

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 11, 2002

Can you explain to us what a flow room is? I have never heard of it before...

4. Janetr

Janetr Guest

Aug 11, 2002

Actually, that was my question also! All I know is that I will meet with each class (K-5) for one hour. In the past, the teacher passed out board games and manipulatives such as legos, k-nex, puzzles, etc. and the kids "played". A visiting ESL teacher inquired about what type of learning style records were being kept on each student. This was the first clue I had that this was anything more than a "filler" class to allow the regular classroom teacher a weekly hour meeting/planning break. I wished that I had not been between classes at the time and could have asked her more. This school is a PYP-IB school so maybe it is part of the IB program. ???????

5. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 12, 2002

I've never heard of this! Sounds like a waste of perfectly good instructional time. What's PYP-IB?

6. Janetr

Janetr Guest

Aug 12, 2002

IB-PYP stands for International Baccalaureate Primary year's program. Each class meets once a week with each related arts instructor. Related arts includes PE, Art, computer, and flow room. The main teachers meet and plan during their classes' related arts time. Flow room appears to be free play but I was hoping to find some ideas here that would add "some meat to these bones." Like I said before, I am temporary, hoping for more. I want to do more than babysit while I have this time with students. I have rounded up board games and manipulatives to foster cooperative learning and strategies. I thought maybe others had experience with the flow room concept. Suddenly, I don't feel as "out of it" as I did before since no one else seems to have heard of it either! :p

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 12, 2002

Could this 'flow' room be a place for 'Socialization and Interaction Independently" It sounds like a place for the kids to make their own choices and to interact together?
    You could create weekly plans and make available only the specific materials you allow for that week. For example, Maybe they need to collaborate in groups and build a vehicle or a bridge. Maybe they can only do so using certain materials you provide for that session. I think the competition is great when its done by group then if done individually. Maybe one session you can use that time period to set up an indoor obstacle course and 'time' each child. If you could put on display someones creation of knex or Legos, that would be cool. (I would digital pix it as a portfolio entry! The child could tell you in words or have to write it themselves a summary of their creation! then you could save pics and journal/writing entry for each child in a folder!) I could see how bringing in certain games might also help. For example, you can bring in games that teach economics like payday, monopoly, Life etc.. Or, one session you may bring in geometric shapes manipulatives. Tangrams, geopieces, theres a game I have downstairs its been around since I was a kid that you have to put the yellow shapes into the space before the timer and the board pops up.etc.. and then the kids can make PAPER versions of shapes. Another session, the kids can do probability with spinners, dice etc... You can create cooperative group activities for each session. Maybe you make a session of Rainbows and the students involve themselves with colors activities. Science experiments themes like temperature, sound (fill baby jars with water of different heights) at one table for one group- have kitchen utensils they need to create a rhythm band- make another group create jingles or a song with new lyrics but using a popular tune- one group can create a vocal band by doowapping one child is bass making a deep sound that repeats....) weight, architecture build toothpick bridges, paper clip ropes, drinking straw buildings, you could make one session for LINES- the kids could make their own spirographs, You could even make a session for 'improving fine motor skill and multitask activity" you could do paper chains and paper weaving, sewing... I could go ON AND ON... BUT, i dont know what a flow room is supposed to be so, good luck!

8. Janetr

Janetr Guest

Aug 13, 2002

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Those were wonderful ideas! Any more would be greatly appreciated! Especially for the K and 1st graders. Sometimes I find the youngers are harder for me. I don't know how long I will be in charge of this group but your ideas are along the lines of what I pictured doing with this class. It is possible that I will have this class for the entire year and appreciate any and all suggestions since there is such a wide age range. Thank you again for taking the time to share!