Flotsam, jetsam, lagan, or derelict

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 18, 2012

Why the nautical terminology? I'm feeling specifically poetic in regards to specific gravity. And here's why...

In the fall, I took a commission to make a table. The guy was like, "go wild". So, I planned for a few weeks, gathered materials, replanned, gathered more materials, discarded ideas, and began construction of the base. I came back to the project in January after holidays and re-evaluated, and started up again. I did some intricate mathematics to figure out the volume of the dimensions of my table top and some subtractive volumes to account for a freestyle parquet I was going to install. Everything looks good but even though mathematics usually do not lie I still had some hesitance about the final step of applying the clear coat. I knew there was something I was forgetting but I couldn't resolve the problem. So, I forged ahead and because I delayed for soooooo long finishing I cut a corner.

Yep. I cut a corner and thus paid the price for overlooking the physical properties associated with specific gravity. So, right now, I'm hoping for a lagan rather than a derelict. Things look good.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 19, 2012

Pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 19, 2012

The table is beautiful...I don't get what's wrong?

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Apr 19, 2012

:yeahthat:

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 19, 2012

Aesthetics, I agree. The table is fine the way it looks. Technically, these photos are before I began applying the clear coat. The corner I cut because I was being asked to turn the table over just happens to be not gluing all the black and blonde pieces down. And as we all know now, wood floats. For some reason, I fixated on the idea that the clear gel coat wold be thick enough to hold them down and at the same time stick them down. Nope, they floated and I played wacko-mo with a tongue depressor for 2 hours keeping them in place while the gel coat spread out enough to let them settle back in place. It looks fine after all that but I was very worried for a time. I'll post some pictures after it's completely finished.