Florida to Texas Certification

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thechangingtabl, Jul 28, 2008.

1. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I am having a tough time finding a job here with all the teacher cuts and lay-offs.

I have a Professional (5 year) Certificate in Florida in K-6, Middle Grades Integrated and ESE.

One year teaching experience under my belt.

What is the process and how long? Any chances of getting a job within the next month?

I have a friend who will let me rent her house in the Frisco area. I have 3 kids who will also be attending school K, 3 & 7 so would like to teach and live in the same area, open to any area if I can find a house to rent.

I just registered on the SBEC website and it looks like they want money and transcripts/certificates to start.

Thanks for any info...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

I think all you need is to take and pass the certification exam for your area, either EC-4 or 4-8 and the professional responsibility exam. Good luck!

4. hulagirl

hulagirl Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

SBEC charges $177 to review your credentials and if you get the okay from them you can pay some more money and get a temporary texas teaching certificate. SBEC will also inform you of which tests you can take to get a standard 5 year certificate. I found the TEXES tests to be super easy compared to the tests I took in Florida. Good Luck to you!

5. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Jul 29, 2008

SBEC

So is that the way to go? Or should I be applying to the schools through their website sending my Florida credentials that show I am eligible for Texas?? I am trying to get a job first and then do all the paperwork, or will it not work that way?

I was hoping that since I have some experience in ESE and I am certified ESE, that I could get hired quickly and then deal with all the paperwork... Not realistic? :help:

6. AggieTchr2006

AggieTchr2006 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I'm not too sure if that's the way to go. When I first graduated and was interviewing, a couple of campuses were really hesitant when I told them my certificate hadn't been issued yet, (I was waiting for my ESL endorsement to be added).

I would at least start the process, so they can check with SBEC that you are in the system. I would also bring copies of paperwork you filled out for SBEC as confirmation it was done, and your Florida Certificate. By now you will probably have to have to get a temporary certificate, (the certification exams are only offered on certain dates depending on your geographic area) plus there are many Univeristy students who are graduating in August and SBEC will be processing their certificates as well.

Hope this helps! :)

7. tracy

tracy Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I am trying to get a teaching job in Texas also. I taught fifth grade last year in Mississippi, passed the TEXES generalist 4-8, I'm currently enrolled in an ACP program, and have applied to over 100 teaching positions. I have yet to get one interview. I don't know what else to do.

8. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jul 30, 2008

You can also take some of the tests by computer. I don't know if the tests you are taking are eligible, but you can find out from the ets website. I'm taking two test by computer in the next week (4-8 generalist and History 8-12). I'm in an ACP program and I haven't had a single call. If I don't hear anything, I'm going to try to sub in the school district I want to work in. Good luck to you.

9. Conspiracist

Conspiracist New Member

Aug 18, 2008

Hulagirl, if I understood correctly you already held a credential in FL and were required to take the TEXES, did they also require you to also take the Professional Responsibility Exam?

Also, when you submitted your FL credential to SBEC, roughly how long did it take them to process everything and give you their decision?