Florida Teaching

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Mar 18, 2008.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Mar 18, 2008

I'm in the process of moving to Florida, hoping to be living in Fl by the end of next summer. I was hoping to find out what the job situtation is like for elementary education, what the best schools in Seminole county are and when I should begin applying for the 2009-2010 school year? If anyone knows of any schools that are not in seminole but are close to Disney please let me know that as well. Thank you.

3. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

From what i heard, and im not trying to discourage you, is that everyone and their mother wants to teach in Florida--the secret's out--FLORIDA IS WARM DURING THE WINTER! So, there is a hiring freeze in the state. Im not sure if your area would be affected, but a lot of areas are....they wont do much hiring in the state for teachers and other professions for that matter. Florida is just simply full of teachers and maybe they needed teachers 10 years ago, but thats just not the case anymore. As I said, i dont want to discourage, heck even im moving there too...but there will be competition like you wouldn't believe. Good luck.

4. hemster

hemster Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

As a Florida resident who is trying to get into teaching, with a wife who is a high school teacher, I can assure you Florida is still very desperate for teachers. There is a hiring freeze right now, but it really only applies to not hiring any new permanent teachers for the remainder of this school year. They will need new teachers for the 2008 year. You can look at any County Schhol Board web site and see a list of open jobs. My Area is Martin County, St. Lucie County and Palm Beach County. They all have a few positions advertised, and a lot more will come in the next couple of months.

Competetion is not bad at all (in South Florida anyway). If you are a qualified candidate, you can get a job.

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 20, 2008

A friend of mine that I did my student teaching with went to a job fair here in Michigan a year ago. She was looking for a teaching job in FL because she was planning on moving there the following month. She ended up signing a contract at the job fair and is currently teaching 5th grade in Cape Coral. Now that was last year, but I would think some areas are still hard up for teachers.

I would say you should start applying asap! The sooner you get your name in there, the better chance you have of landing a job! Good Luck!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

I know at the job fair I went to last year a lot of the districts from Florida were offering people contracts on the spot; I'm not sure what districts or areas of Florida that they were doing this, though.

7. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

I went to college in Orlando. I don't have any information about specific schools but I have included the local county schools websites that surround the Disney/Buena Vista area (Orange County). Seminole County is actually a county away from Disney but it is a good school system (better than Orange county in my opinion). Florida schools are rated based on FCAT scores and yearly student progress. Each of the schools will show their letter grade and most show other information about the demographics of the schools. This can help you gain a better idea of how the schools have been performing.

Orange County
    https://www.ocps.net/Pages/default.aspx

Seminole County
    http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/

Lake County
    http://www.lake.k12.fl.us/LCSPortal/

Osceola County
    http://www.osceola.k12.fl.us/

I hope this helps with your job search.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 11, 2008

I would start your application process now and be careful about recruiters. Don't sign any contract without first knowing about the school. There are many reasons why certain schools are always needing new staff. If it feels wrong, don't sign. You could be stuck for several years in a miserable place. Good Luck!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 11, 2008

Florida is desperate for teachers in pretty much every county, but beware, it is also a state that is VERY good at wasting money on stupid things (like $200,000 toilet seats) and then claiming to not have enough money to clean up a rat infested high school. Teaching in this state can be a challenge. The legislature cuts education funding first when there is a budget problem. The weather's nice, but the politics stink.

10. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 14, 2008

I have some questions about finding a job in South Florida. Do you mind if I private message you?

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 14, 2008

Newbie, I'm from Miami-Dade, you can feel free to PM me if you'd like to as well.

12. hemster

hemster Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

Anytime.

13. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 15, 2008

I just moved from Lake County Fla. -the southern part of the county. Its just west of Disney, alittle less traffic. Its a growing area and it seems a new school is opening every couple years due to overcrowding. There are also some charter/magnet schools in the area too.

I do know they just announced a new superintendent for there and that should really help the teachers out. (heard terrible things from teacher friends about the outgoing one).

Another area that is really growing is in Orange County(Orlando) in the Lake Nona area. A new VA hospital, a medical college being added to UCF is making that area explode. And that is close to Seminole county.

Best of luck. You will love it down there. (I miss it so much!)

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

There is an opening at my private school. Grade 3. Small classes. Freedom to teach without nonsense.

Located near Palm Beach International Airport.

561/655-7323

Call or PM me if interested.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 18, 2008

I was just non-renewed. Not because I did anything wrong but because of budget. I can't believe that I am going to have to go through this all over. Non-renewal is like the kiss of death and in Florida districts are done by county. I guess I should change my grade to looking for one.

16. MaddieMommy

MaddieMommy Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I am so sorry to hear that! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

17. teacha101

teacha101 Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

You can find teaching jobs in the charter schools in Florida very easily. Florida is still hiring teachers, but most job openings now are for internal transfers. Closer to end of school/summer is when you will most likely find jobs in Florida. Look for job fairs in specific counties.

18. mrsbrown2007

mrsbrown2007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

Unfortunately, this isn't so... I live in a FL county that must place 220 teachers before they hire any new people. I graduated in December, and I've been looking for a job. They've told me that I should take a job at a private school if they offer it. One principal told me last week that their "hands are tied." :unsure: Best wishes to those of you looking for a job in FL. I have a second appointment with a very good private school on Thursday. I'm hoping and praying that works out.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 20, 2008

Notice I said in PRETTY MUCH every county, not every county. As with any generalization, there are a few exceptions.

20. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 21, 2008

I read an article about Polk County that seemed to say that they're having some serious budget issues, but I've had pretty good luck getting interviews in Dade. I'm going to job fairs in Broward and Palm Beach, but my preference would be to work in Broward. I read that Palm Beach unexpectedly had a lot of turnover this year, though.

21. teacha101

teacha101 Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Charter Schools USA has job fairs beginning on Sat. 4/26/08. Go to the CSUSA website for information. They will be plenty of jobs available!

22. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

Well, Volusia County is not going to be hiring much at all. In fact about 1200 people will be displaced ans shifted around due to budget cuts. It will effect many non-tenured teachers and some tenured teachers. I'l be thankful if I still have a job next fall!