Florida teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Jul 19, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 19, 2015

Out of curiosity what are conditions for teachers down in Florida? Does anyone know what average salary would be for a first year teacher?

3. ludoak

ludoak Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

There are a lot of job opportunities. Many districts have to look out of state to fill vacancies. The district I work for had openings at some schools that could not be filled all year last year.

Average starting salary is under 40,000 and varies depending on the part of the state. I remember reading somewhere the average was about 38,000. Any new hire would be place on an annual contract, there is no longer the option for tenure in Florida.

The state places extreme emphasis on standardized tests. We were one of the first states to do pay for performance, we were the first state to have mandatory retention based off of end of year standardized tests (starting in 3rd grade). The legislature even just passed a new law to give teachers bonuses based on their personal ACT/SAT scores.

The state uses the "Florida Standards" which is just Common Core with some minor wording changes.

One thing you can't beat is our Florida Class Size Amendment. The law sets class sizes. 18 students (K-3), 22 (4-8), and 25 (9-12). I had 16 students for much of last year, which is unheard of in most of the country.

4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 20, 2015

Wow! 16 ?? In NY you can get double that in some areas.

I'm open to move if I find a job so I looked into Seminole county schools.

Do you have any advice on safe areas/districts to look into? I would be moving by myself (I'm in my mid 20s) so safety is a big priority.

5. ludoak

ludoak Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

I work in St. Lucie County. I moved here from Michigan in my early 20s. I know my county is still trying to fill openings.

I'd imagine that excluding some of the high performing districts (Martin, St. Johns, etc.) there are openings in most districts.

The districts down here are based on the counties so in general they are very large. You can find safe (and unsafe) areas to live in most.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2015

That law that bases on bonuses based on teacher ACT or SAT isn't written in stone yet (but it's probably coming. We have a very inept Gov and legislature!). I'm in Central Florida and, historically, Seminole county has been the hardest district to get hired into. You would have a much easier time getting into orange or Osceola if you want to live in this area. (I have worked in all three counties.) There are tremendous numbers of safe areas all over this part of the state (and some that you don't want to go near.) I would be happy to talk to you more about specific schools and areas if you want to PM me. Good luck...and welcome to the area.

7. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 20, 2015

good to know! thank you! Im going to pm you now!