Florida teachers...public & private

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Aug 4, 2012.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 4, 2012

We had some ERDA (Early Reading Diagnosis Assessment) kits for K/1 & 2/3 donated to us (among boxes of other things, some way outdated but heart was in the right place :)).
    Is the ERDA still used or is this outdated? If still used, is it used in addition to the FLKRS in Kinder or can be used in place of?
    The pkgs. are still sealeI wanted to get others input before spending time going thru something I may not even need.
    Private schools- what do you use to assess within the first 30 days as required if you have children coming from a VPK program?

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Aug 4, 2012

It is not used in my district.

4. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Aug 4, 2012

Not used in my district and as far as I know nothing can be used in place of FLKRS. To my knowledge, FLKRS is a state adopted program and must be completed for all incoming K students. Its purpose is used to evaluate readiness provided by the VPK program. I think if you want to use it, I would use it as a supplement to any type of progress monitoring you plan on doing throughout the year.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

dr. gator that was my understanding also.

So anyone use ERDA at all?

Also, testing fall, winter, spring... when exactly is that?! fall- end of 1st qtr, middle of 2nd qtr.? Sorry, hope this isn't a silly question. We begin sch. Aug. 20th. I know Kinders that were in VPK have to be assessed within 30 days using FLKRS.

Just a FYI- I'm also expected to do report cards for Kinder every qtr.

6. teacher7784

teacher7784 Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

Since FL teachers are checking out this thread, I have a question for ya :). It seems that in every county you have to submit a huge application packet, including employee review sheets filled out by references. I'm in the process of obtaining FL certification and that seems like a lot, to ask 3 references to fill out over 25 forms each (or more depending on how many counties I apply to)! In NJ they don't really ask for transcripts until an interview is scheduled, but in FL that's another thing they expect before applying. At my past colleges they start charging you for them to send out official transcripts after you go past 5 which can really add up. Am I confused by this or do they really expect people do all this? I mean I understand if you get an interview, but just to apply? :confused:

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2012

I believe it is outdated. FAIR is used primarily after the year begins. Beforehand, FLKRS is used. That is the only thing used in all the districts I have had experience (St. Johns, Hernando).