Florida teachers, have you heard about this????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pamms, Mar 4, 2010.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Mar 4, 2010

3. Rpar0809

Rpar0809 Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

No info

I clicked on both and found nothing on improving schools

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Mar 8, 2010

5. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 8, 2010

It is always interesting to see what your state legislators see as the quick fix to all the school problems. You know, the people who haven't set foot inside a public school classroom since they graduated from high school. I sometimes think they really have no clue about the realities in schools today.

6. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 8, 2010

That is terrible. The whole merit thing will not improve the school's students...nor will it improve teachers. There are many fantastic teachers who try earnestly to help students learn something and it just doesn't click.

I was beyond horrible at math and chemistry. I was tutored for an hour a day in each subject after school and most days during lunch. I was still failing. My teachers tried. It would have been too much pressure for me to know my teacher lost her job because in my mind I was a failure.

Not only does "merit" pay damage teachers, it damages students who see how hard teachers try and how dedicated they are to helping a student achieve.

I hope the union is able to fight this and win.

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 8, 2010

50% of salary? I see rampant cheating ahead.

I hate that teachers are being scapegoated for everything. Where is the responsibility of the parents? When I was a kid and I wasn't doing well in math my parents had me tutored afterschool to catch up. Where is the accountability for the families?

8. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 8, 2010

Heather that is just what I was asking. Where is the accountability for the families. I agree there will be cheating. That same math teacher I talked about in my post had me stay in during a lunch (7th grade) to complete the Math test we took then I think it was part of the Iowa Basic Skills test. I was failing miserably. The teacher had me "correct" my test. we were also told it would be used as placement for next year. I left EVERYTHING (over half the test) I did not know blank. She made me fill in "certain" answers. I erased all of them before putting my test in the envelope. But somehow I still ACED the test. I was soo upset. BTW she was not under merit pay.

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Apr 9, 2010

Both the House and the senate passed this bill. Our fate is in the hands of the Governor now. I don't think the legislators expected the outcry from FL teachers about it. Unfortunately most of them didn't listen to us. On the positive side 11 house members crossed party lines to vote no on this bill.

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 9, 2010

Here in Florida, teachers are up in arms about this bill, but not many of the legislators seemed to care about our opinions. Hopefully, our govenor will not sign it, but is being pressured by a certain party to give it the go ahead.

11. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 9, 2010

While I do believe that teachers need to do a good job and get rewarded for that. test scores are not a good indication of that ability. Teachers do need accountability so that those teachers just riding out until retirement, or just for the paycheck would be replaced by the many quality teachers out there looking for a job.

12. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

Sad. I just sent an email to Gov. Crist. This bill is not the answer to problems with education.

13. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 9, 2010

There does need to be some accountability, but it isn't just tenure teachers who 'ride it out.' There are plenty of "newer" teachers who have certain credentials who are NOWHERE NEAR as good as a tenure teacher who has the SKILLS of theat credential, yet they loose their possition just because program trumps seniority (in some cases) The accountability of teachers is important, but the achievement of the students doesn't nessessarly reflect the teachers ability to teach.

14. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

How do you hold a teacher accountable for...

1) a student's socio-economic status effecting his/her school work
    2) a student coming to school hungry and unable to focus on work
    3) a student with an emotional disability who can not focus on their work
    4) a student ready to drop out who does not care about school because their parents don't care about or value school
    5) a student with any disability who can not make the gains a general education student might

The thing is you can't! If you have a logical answer to any of the above, please let me know. I am all for accountability but it needs to be fair to ALL teachers. If they are tying my salary and future as a teacher to learning gains then why should I work in a Special Education center. Other than an intrinsic value, they have just devalued my career as a Special Education teacher. This is the problem with blanket accountability. Every learning senario is different. The legislation in my State (SB6/Florida) is extremely troubling and will most likely set a precedent for other states. There are rumblings that Georgia is next.

15. cheer

cheer Comrade

Apr 11, 2010

AMEN!!!

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 11, 2010

There have been so many great responses to this in this thread. I especially agreed & can relate to this particular posting. As a bilingual teacher, this would be very discouraging. Currently, I consistently run into the problem that the materials/resources available are not balanced in both languages such as text books, activities & professional support. I am having to constantly improvise &/or translate. Needless to say that this year the classes that are not bilingual are doing much better than at least mine. While I can recognize that I am still learning to be an effective teacher & hold myself accountable, there's also factors that are beyond my control such as the ones mentioned above. I have several students who have been in this country less than 2 years but are expected to not only be on grade level but also learn English quickly. Some students don't even have a full year attending school because of decisions made by the parents but yet as a teacher you're suppose to ensure that they are ready to pass the state test.

Yes, you are suppose to work with what you have but is it fair that some teachers have pull outs for small groups & extra supplemental materials to help their kids pass while you are pretty much on your own? So the gist I get is that these teachers would get the merit while I may have to take a hit?