Florida Teacher FTCE Elementary Ed K-6

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by futureteacher13, Oct 20, 2013.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 20, 2013

Hello! I'm currently working towards earning teacher certification. I have a BA in Social Science and I'm completely lost on where to start and how to study. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2013

Well, you should be in pretty good shape for the social studies/history questions... What content in the test has you most concerned? If you don't know yet, check the online materials for the test - if there isn't some kind of preparation handout on the FTCE Web site that outlines the test, then look on the FLDOE Web site for the "competencies".

4. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013

How would you suggest preparing for the exam? Flash cards, note taking. Also, what length of time would you suggest in my studying for the exam? It's been 2 years since I graduated from college.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2013

It's hard to suggest specific ways to study without knowing the person doing the studying. The goal is to get the information to take up residence in YOUR head and preferably to have a fair bit of it stay there even after the test is done.

Having said which, let me suggest that you need to trust yourself a bit more. Stop focusing on all that you're sure you've forgotten - what's wrong, in other words - and start paying more attention to what you remember and what you can get right, as a foundation on which to build your relearning. (This is good teaching, too: one goes back to bedrock, if need be, to construct a learning edifice in which the student succeeds with the content.)

Most of the material in most elementary teacher tests isn't really new to most students (with occasional exceptions, I grant: CSET-Multiple Subjects includes bits of reading instruction methodology, and few of us learn any of that outside a credential program). What may be new, or what may particularly need to be relearned, is the technical terminology - and studies show that vocabulary is best learned by authentic use; in this case that can mean using the terms to talk about or write about things in one's environment. If you're a wine drinker, for example, a prime way to study simple machines (levers, screws, gears, etc.) is by narrating to yourself what happens as you use a standard wing-type corkscrew.

In addition, leverage what you know to help you where you may be less comfortable. Feeling nervous about visual and performing arts? Ah: the arts, over time, both reflect and shape the history, economics, and political science of their times. And analyzing a political cartoon IS analyzing an artwork, and both are similar in process to analyzing a passage of literature: the object is to be able to point to specifics of the cartoon or artwork or work of literature through which it conveys its message.

Oh, and I couldn't begin to recommend an amount of time to study without knowing how quickly the student's brain can be counted on to recall all the material she's sure she's forgotten since leaving school. Experience suggests, however, that those who swear they've forgotten everything they learned y years ago (where 1 < y < 25 - the notation means "y is between 1 and 25", and it's useful shorthand for math) start having little "aha!" moments while studying, as those supposedly forgotten bits of info start surfacing and insisting on being connected.