Florida Single subject exam "social science"

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by luvcats, Mar 27, 2007.

1. luvcats

luvcats Rookie

Mar 27, 2007

Has anyone out there taken the FTCE social science 6-12 test? I am taking it in April and would really like to know what to expect. Thank you. Keri

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2007

Welcome to A to Z, luvcats. I think there have been some posts on the FTCE social science test in the past; if you look through the Single Subject Tests forum, or search using the forum search tool in the upper right of the page, you should find something.

The official Competencies document - I'm sorry I don't remember the Web site - should give you a sense of the range of the test. And you may glean useful things from the resources and discussions for CSET Social Science and for the various Praxis II social science exams.

4. pitcherlefty

pitcherlefty New Member

Apr 5, 2007

Social Science Exam

I hope you do well on it! I am just starting the process trying to change carrers and its been a lot of years since I've been is school. This morning I took the the General Knowledge Exam (minus the essay) on the computer and it said I passed! That math section sure had me worried I guess I should have studied up. sigh of relief but I sure was nervous and I am sitting here reading how hard everybody says the exam is and am second guessing myself. Do well and report back and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I hope to take the social science in a few month, I think I definately got to study for that!

5. MarcFLMath

MarcFLMath Rookie

Apr 9, 2007

I just took this test last friday online. It was hard, I'm not going to mislead you. It wasn't anything like the practice. There was A LOT on US History, pre-civil war as well as European history (greek/roman/athens/sparta). There is 120 questions. Good Luck!

6. MarcFLMath

MarcFLMath Rookie

Apr 9, 2007

How was the general knowledge? Which grades 5-9?

7. pitcherlefty

pitcherlefty New Member

Apr 9, 2007

I don't think the General knowledge is grade specific just required for all who want to be Florida teachers. To me the Language and reading was a breeze (although the reading comprehension was really boring and I had trouble concentrating on those paragraphs.) The math was rough cause I haven't done any algerba or graphs in forver in fact went I went back to the mark questions I think I had marked about 1/2 of them. I just took my time and reasoned and did some really long math when I didn't know how to converted things i converted into things I did know...I sure could have used more than one piece of scratch paper :)

Thanks for the heads up on the social science I guess I better go watch some gladitator movies or something...see now a days kids think we had it easy in school cause we didn't have as much history to learn, there were less presidents etc....well the trick for me is to even remember what I learned. I think this weekend I am going to get some CLEP books and study....

8. luvcats

luvcats Rookie

Apr 9, 2007

Hi Marc (is that right?) How did you take the test online? Was it the FTCE Social Science 6-12? I'm taking my test at a community college in 2 weeks. Did you pass? I have been using a study guide from XAMonline that has a practice test of 125 questions. Do you know if the test you took will be like the practice test in my study guide? You said it wasn't like the practice, which practice are you talking about? How did you study for it? I've been trying to find someone who has taken the test so I know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where are you applying to teach? Thanks. Keri

9. MarcFLMath

MarcFLMath Rookie

Apr 9, 2007

Hey..I did take the FTCE SS 6-12. it was 120 questions and I think I from 12.30-3.15. Be careful, the questions were somewhat misleading (more than the practice). There were a lot on opportunity cost and some other economics. I did OK. You will get a system generated response at the end that says "pass" or "not pass." You need a 67%, but they don't tell you how many you got. To get back to your question, I took it at a testing center in Orlando. It was completly online, not allowed to have anything (no paper, pen, etc). Good luck.

10. v19inc

v19inc New Member

Jan 8, 2008

Hey Luvcats, I see you were going through the challenge of passing the social sciences test back mid last year. How did you do? I have taken it twice with no luck! I'm dying here. I have studied but not enough obviously. What did you use as a study guide. I read notes that the XAM study guides were not very helpful. Help!!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2008

12. luvcats

luvcats Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I passed on my first attempt, although I really thought it could go either way. Couldn't get a job in Florida, but was offered a position at a private school in Texas which I turned down. Here's what I used: FL Teacher Cert Exam Test Prep Guide (S.S. 6-12), FTCE XAM, Barron's AP World History, McGraw-Hill's GED Social Studies, The Handy History Answer Book, Cliffs Quick Review's for US History I & II, Econ, and American Government, Cliffs Test Prep Praxis II: Social Studies content knowledge test, and stuff from the web at Student's Friend. I spend alot of money on buying all the books. I also studied alot. I honestly can't remember what the test even covered. Just study every discipline within Social Sciences including Psych, Anthropology, etc. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck.

13. SaRicha3

SaRicha3 New Member

Jan 28, 2010

FTCE SS 6-12 HELP !

I am very nervous about taking the Social Sciences 6-12 FTCE. Can anyone recommend any study material? Can anyone give me a brief summary of the test, so I know what to expect?

I plan on taking the test in February, but I worry that I haven't studied enough for it. Any advice would be appreciated!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2010

If you Google for "ftce competencies social sciences 6-12", you should find one or more free docs on reputable Web sites that will at least give the outline. Most states' teacher tests these days, if they're not Praxis exams, are aligned to the state's content standards, so you might find that Florida's K-12 content standards are even better as an outline than are the Competencies.

15. LilliePad

LilliePad New Member

Mar 27, 2010

NEW SUBJECT AREA!!!

Has anyone taken the new Florida Social Science subject area test? If so how difficult did you think it was?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, LilliePad.

How are you generally as a test taker?

17. Salmah1984

Salmah1984 New Member

Jul 20, 2012

I want to study for the FTCE social studies 6-9 exam.....does anyone have any advice as far as what to use to study for it?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2012

Have you looked at the online materials? What about the content has you most concerned?

After that, let me recommend getting hold of a good historical atlas.

19. zmanzelli

zmanzelli Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

Maybe helpful

A friend of mine took it and he used the XAM Social Science 6-12 study guide and passed it on the first try. He said that book was very useful with studying for this test!

20. Salmah1984

Salmah1984 New Member

Jul 25, 2012

hello I plan to take the Social Science exam here in Gainesville FL..not sure what date yet until i study for it.....you said all your friend did was use XAM? really?

21. dustystar05

dustystar05 New Member

Sep 16, 2012

I just took the Social Science Exam yesterday 9/15/2012, after 4 weeks of studing 4 -5 hours a day I thought I was prepared (didnt pass). I used the REA study guide (really big Book). Like other before have said this book was a waste of money, as nothing from their practice test were close to that on the real test., ( nowhere near similar) try other book liek the XAM book, as that is what the FLDOE recommends for the test.

22. Breeziibre

Breeziibre Rookie

Dec 12, 2016

Hello. Has anyone recently taken FTCE SS 6-12 exam?

23. Cym

Cym Rookie

Jan 31, 2017

did you take the exam yet? I am studying now to take it. What study guide have you used so far?

24. TonyaT

TonyaT New Member

Mar 7, 2017

Hey I'm new here and also preparing for the exam. Wondering if there is any advice?