Florida areas

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by JaimeMarie, Jun 30, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 30, 2006

I am seeing jobs in different areas of Florida. For those of you already down there what do you think of Callahan, Tampa, Kissimmee, Titusville, Lake Wales, Green Cove Springs, Bunnell, De Land. Really interested in the last two since they are both only a half hour from my grandparents home.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2006

Jaime,
    Are you really thinking of leaving Maine?

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 30, 2006

At this point just kind of thinking. Most of those areas are all about an hr drive from my grandparents home in Florida.
    And my father just moved to Pensacola.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2006

Jaime..............you would miss your skiing!!!!! Ok.........sorry, not trying to dissuade you at all!!!!! Big change for you though!

6. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 30, 2006

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

There are a ton of kindergarten positions but it doesn't say what town they are in just the school name.

9. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

There are tons of jobs for teachers in Florida. I live in Jacksonville and hate it. In fact, we are fixing to move back to Mississippi. Anyways, St. Augustine is nice (it's in Flagler county I believe). I don't suggest Jacksonville. Callahan is very country. From what I've seen it is really redneck (not that there's anything wrong with that I'm from Mississippi!!!). The outskirts of Orlando are nice too. There is a lot to choose from here.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

Once you get north of Orlando in the central part of the state, the scenery changes and the way of life changes. It is less tropical, actually can be hilly, you don't get the ocean breezes, the way of life is slower. Many people from south Florida go there to 'get away from it all'. I have no idea how the schools are. They are a mess in Palm Beach County, though.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

Thanks for the info everyone. I think bf wants to stay close to the ocean. And if I do move down there I want to be close to my grandparents. I'll have to talk to bf and see what he thinks.

Thanks again for the info.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

Then you may want to look into the Indialantic/Melbourne area which is south of the space center along the coast.

13. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

I guess the best thing for you to do Jamie is check it out for yourself. I don't want to give you any negative opinions...I am in Polk County, and this is my last year here. I will be moving next year. I don't think it's easy (financially) being a teacher in Florida..the cost of living is high. Before you decide anything do some intense investigation. I would hate to see you move and regret every bit of it. I just have to add this ....you have to ask yourself why is there so much teaching vacancy in Florida..why is the teacher turn over so poor??

Take care

14. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

St. Augustine is in St. Johns county.

15. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

Adria, where are you moving to?

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2006

Thanks everyone for your advice. I truely do not plan on staying down there for more than a year or two. I want to be with my family but I need to get experience some how to get a job. And I guess that what I am doing is not considered experience.
    Thanks again.
    BTW my grandparents live in Ormond Beach.

17. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

Brandigillard I am moving to Georgia, I am looking at seven counties believe it or not I am doing my research now...because I want this move to be smooth sailing.

18. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 2, 2006

what are the seven counties(if you don't mind sharing)?

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2006

I don't understand the county thing. Any one want to explain it? Here we have towns that form districts, or single cities/towns that form a school system.
    How does the county thing work? Superintendent and things like that?

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 2, 2006

In GA school districts are formed according to counties. Each county has its own set of schools ranging from k-12. Very few are grouped according to cities(ex. Atlanta Public Schools). Each school district has its own superintendent over all of the schools in that district. I hope this does not further confuse you.

21. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

I hope I am correct but I am looking at Fulton, Dekalb, Douglas, Clayton, Gwinnett, Fayette, Cobb and Forsyth

22. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 2, 2006

I work in Clayton. Fulton is good depending on where, Gwinnette is good, Fayette, and also Cobb. The others :eek: Best of Luck, GA is a great place to teach:) :) :) :)

23. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

Thank you for the info....

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2006

So at least in GA each county has a district. They must be HUGE!
    We have 16 counties in Maine. I think there are about 50 different districts (this is an estimations). And it seems each district has four or five towns for the smaller towns.....
    Usually each town has it's own elementary school.

25. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 2, 2006

For the most part each district has several elementary, middle, and high schools. In my district we have 35 elem, 14 middle, and 8 HS. There are about 180 districts in GA.

26. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 2, 2006

I live in Pasco and I like it here plenty. :)

Real estate prices in much of pasco are still quite affordable.

Thus far i have found the district to be quite friendly and helpful to me. I start teaching in August, so we will see how i feel in a year.

~J

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

28. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

JaimeMarie:

It does look like the counties in GA are a lot smaller area wise than in Maine. Population is probably a different story. I moved to the Atlanta area over 20 yrs ago from Memphis. There was only one county to deal with and 2 school districts...you either worked for Memphis City Schools or Shelby County schools. Here, there are 13 counties that make up the Metro Atlanta area...and 17 that are within an hours drive of downtown Atlanta. So that means 20+ districts (including Atlanta City Schools, Marietta City Schools, etc.) Of course, if you live an hour northwest of the city like I do, it wouldn't make sense to apply at every district unless you were willing to drive 1 1/2 to 3 hours each way. With Atlanta traffic, it doesn't even make economic sense for me to apply to all the schools in the county south of me. I'm in the north part of Cherokee County, and to get to a job in North Cobb would be a 45 - 60 minute drive. To go anywhere else in Cobb County would be 1 1/2 to 2 hours. That would eat up my entire salary in gas costs. There are 20 elementary schools in my district...so I'm hoping at least one of them will have to add classes due to size mandates and there will be openings in the next few weeks. School starts Aug 1, so I should know soon whether there are openings or not...Wish me luck!!

29. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

The counties in GA do look small, but keep in mind we are heavily populated. Where I live there are at least three elem schools right down the street from each other. There may even be three to four schools in the same city because of pop. Gas is expensive, but I knew several people who live about 30min from my school dist., but travel here for a job. I guess it depends on how bad you want a job.

30. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

Shasha: where are you in GA?

Are you currently working, or looking? I know I'm willing to drive, but not more than an hour each way...which doesn't leave me with many counties to choose from. Even to go to Woodstock from Canton is over 30 minutes...

31. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

The counties are small, but heavily populated. There may be four or five different elem schools in the same city because of population. In some states there are only one or two schools within the same area, and those school maybe K-8 and 9-12. Not here we have k-5, 6-8, and 9-12. Goopp, I know several teachers who travel 45min-1hr to get to work, but like you I would not do it(unless there weren't any other openings of course). Good luck with the job search.

32. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

I sent the message again because I thought it did not go through the first time :sorry: I have been working in clayton co for the past four years(same school).

33. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

Fl's schools are all based on the county they are in so some school systems are large and some are not. Duval (where I use to work) is large and has a ton of schools. Clay has a lot of land but less schools because of the population.

34. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I am not familiar with Georgia but I will be taking a trip to Georgia for Labor day. I must admit that I am very excited, I don't think the move will be difficult. I don't have a home..lol I am living in an apartment.

Take care you guys

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

good luck GOOPP. What grade do you want to teach?

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

Here in the area I live in the schools are either k-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
    or k-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12 for the most part.

37. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

I'd love to teach KK, but I'll take what I can get.

38. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Don't just settle for anything believe me you will get what your heart desire....just remain positive throughout your search and good luck

39. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

I agree. It took almost three years, but I got exactly what I wanted.

40. Mama Chick

Mama Chick Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Jamie, check out TeachInFlorida.com If I remember correctly it gives you a map of Florida divided by counties and also compares salaries county by county. It also has job listings but not as many as you would find by checking out each counties website. Deland is a nice area but not sure about the schools. It is in Volusia county. Kissimee(sp) is in Oseola county, Disney World area. If this is not the right website then let me know and I'll find it for you.

41. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I love the Gwinnett county area. My dad lives in Cumming, GA. My aunt lives in Canton, GA and teaches in one of the schools around there and does not like it. She teaches middle school/high school and she says that the kids are just mean. I guess that is like that everywhere though because of that age of kids.