Flopped the Interview

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bozena, Aug 4, 2005.

1. bozena

bozena New Member

Aug 4, 2005

So, I'm soon to be a first year teacher IF I ever get a job. I had an interview today and I think I blew it. I would LOVE to work in this district but, I did not articulate my answers in the interview very well. My anxiety gets a hold of me and therefore my knowledge and ideas become a blur. It was at the second or third question that after I began to answer I realized I couldn't remember the original question. I actually said, "I'm sorry. I'm really nervous. Can your repeat the question." The question was repeated and I still couldn't answer the question. It wasn't that it was a diffiuclt question, it was my nerves and soon paranoia. I asked if we could skip it and come back to it. They obliged. Meanwhile, this was all videotaped! I made a joke about it in the interview and stated, "Great! This is all caught on tape too. Can I get a copy after this is over?" They chuckled but, it made it difficult for me to move on. So, do I state anything in the thank you letter about it. Obviously, I do not want to emphasize what happened but do I write something like, "Please don't be misled by my nervousness during our meeting today, instead view my nervousness as my excitement and desire at the prospect of working in your district." Or something else? I'm just wondering if I should forget it and use it to triumph the glitch during the interview.

3. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I'm sorry your interview didn't go well, but remember administrators KNOW that everyone is nervous on interviews. So I'm sure they won't hold it against you. I'm sure they remember when they first interviewed for a job, and how hard it was. I'm sure you will get a job eventually, just try to relax. I know it's hard to do now, but that's all you can really do. I remember how frustrating it was when I was on the job search. I just had to pray and trust God to give me the job when he was ready. And that's exactly what happened. I hope this is a little encouraging! Good Luck & Take Care!

[​IMG]

4. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 4, 2005

flopped interview

Hey, don't be hard on yourself! I'm sure you did just fine. We are our own worst critic. We've all had those interviews where you leave thinking "what just happened in there?". I would probably freak out just because of the videotape. I thing what you posted about your nervousness would be just fine to include in your note. Make yourself some notes about what you think didn't go well- which questions you think you could have anwered more clearly, how to handle your nervousness, etc. Good luck!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2005

In an interview I had once, the guy asked me what my biggest weakness is. I answered my self-confidence (insert foot in mouth!!) but I still got a second interview and made it into the candidate pool (but there were no positions:-(). I'm sure you did fine...keep your chin up. If things don't work out with that job, then its not the right one for you.

If you get so nervous, which is completely normal, try to think of some answers before you walk into the interview (for the questions you expect to be asked). You don't want it to seem rehearsed, but maybe if you know what you want to say, you will feel a bit more comfortable. Good luck!!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 5, 2005

I second-guessed myself on my most recent interviews all the way home... but I got the job. Don't worry too much, they know you're nervous... good luck!!!!!!

7. bozena

bozena New Member

Aug 5, 2005

Thanks for all the support. I feel better about it today. Sometimes you have to say, "It is what it is." I sent my thank you letters without mention of my nervousness. We'll see what happens. If not this, then hopefully something else will pop up. Thanks again!

8. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Nov 1, 2005

A interview is...an interview so anything helps. One thing I do is practice...I talk to myself...ask questions I might get asked...etc (which reminds me...I have a sheet of questions my principal gave me that he uses when he interviews people...will have to put it up here)

When I have an interview down...I slowwwww down big time. I have to do that on purpose otherwise Ill go a mile a minute. I take time to answer the questions. One thing I have learned is that you need to keep answers short and sweet. I had an interview and was told that we had fifteen minutes and 10 questions left...before I knew it...we were done and had 7 questions left! lol.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 2, 2005

I'll bet you did better than you think. I had one interview that I really wasn't ready for. It went really well until they asked to see my "teacher face". It was for a sixth grade center and they felt I couldn't be tough enough to deal with the kids. There was no way I was going to be able to do a teacher face with all of them staring at me! (At least not then, now I could!) I would have sworn I bombed the interview with Mrs. Parker. I just wanted to crawl in the corner and cry. She told me later how impressed she was and she called me that afternoon to offer me the job. So hold on to hope, I'm sure you did great!!

10. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Nov 2, 2005

Does your school have a career resources center of some kind? They frequently offer workshops on interviewing, including the opportunity to run some mocks, prepare answers to commonly asked questions, etc. If not, there are some great "how to ace the interview" type books out there!