FLOORED I didn't get an interview

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by allaragallagher, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 17, 2014

If you are in such good standing with the people in that school then use it to your advantage to get reference letters from them ASAP so you could apply elsewhere. You might eventually get a job there but why not look elsewhere also?

2. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 17, 2014

Oh, I've done that. I knew to do that while everyone feels sorry for me now. I asked for updated letters (mentioning my growth over the past year as a substitute teacher) from my original three references, and I asked two other staff members for recommendations. I dropped off stamped, self addressed envelopes and have already gotten two of them back. I have seven letters to pick and choose from from that HS, plus the ones from my professors and my student teacher supervisor.

I didn't take any test or survey to apply so it didn't involve whether I had the right amount of points or the highest percentage score.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2014

It's great that the teachers at the school like you so much and wanted you to get a job there. But they really have no say in it. But hopefully their recommendations will help you as you continue your search elsewhere.

4. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 17, 2014

They try to hire the most qualified and experienced teachers. They might not have given you an interview because they knew you were a new teacher and they were looking for an older more experience teacher for those positions.

I would recommend keep getting more experience teaching/subbing. Observe what good teachers do and talk to who ever for ideas on classroom management, how consequences/discipline works in the schools, learning different technology, etc that might help when you eventually do get hired full time.

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Apr 17, 2014

Things work out the way they do for a reason. Some day you will look back and realize that this happening in your life happened for a reason. Keep your chin up and carry on!

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 17, 2014

There are so many internal politics going on...maybe they wanted someone with more actual classroom experience. Maybe someone who left to take care of a baby or ill relative was ready to come back full time again. Maybe...and this was actually the case in one district where I worked, someone's grandfather was old friends with the superintendent so she had an in.
    It drives me crazy that for all the talk we do about controlling our own lives and destinies, that our employment is wrapped up in the decisions of other people. From the hiring process to reviews, we're totally controlled by other people's opinions and actions. All you can do is all you can do. Keep trying elsewhere. If nothing else, you should have some decent recommendations from people who saw you in action.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2014

I just had this conversation with a colleague the other day. We discussed how teaching is like a retail or customer service job because we have NO control over any of the people we interact with and, in some cases, their opinions of us can have an impact on our employment/evaluations. We can't choose our students and we can't choose their parents (much less choose our bosses). AND, we have to service these clients day after day after day - no matter how awful an interaction we have had with them in the past.

8. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Apr 18, 2014

Or, someone is confused about who you really are! After I was hired I had to go fill out paperwork. The superintendent started talking to me about my grandfather and how he hoped he was enjoying his retirement from the fire department. My grandfathers didn't even live in the state I was in, nor did they ever work for the fire department!

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 18, 2014

Yes! I once got a job because they accidentally called my references instead of the references of the candidate they wanted. My references spoke so highly of me I ended up being offered the job!!

LizCaffey likes this.
  10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2014

Something similar happened to me, but I was the person who was mistaken for. One of the other girls that was hired at the same time I was was mistaken for me, got the job. Luckily there was another opening and I was actually called and got the job!

11. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Apr 18, 2014

Hiring practices

Reading theses hiring stories are really amazing me. I've been teaching for twelve years. I was hired right out of college by the district. I I applied and interviewed with the district, and after signing my contract I went to a new teacher fair to interview with principals. Here you are hired by the district and then go into a hiring pool that allows you to apply at individual schools. Way back when if you did not get a school at a fair the district placed you. That's not the case now, but I don't know anyone that subs at a school with the hopes of being hired later. Many of our subs are retired teachers or are fresh out of college but have not found a job in their field, not licenced teachers without a position.
    Even if someone has an in, they would have to apply with the district before getting to the school level.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 19, 2014

Wait, are you saying that you are fresh out of college, and expected to get an interview? There are people in teaching who have been job hunting for years.

13. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 19, 2014

Me? I'm a year out of college. I have no teaching experience because I spent the year substituting at that school waiting for the English positions to open up. And, yes, I expected an interview.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2014

Many people expect interviews. Honestly, it was not until I got on this site did I realize there was a teacher shortage problem nationally. I had never met (and still have never personally met) any teacher who has been looking for a job for more than 2 or 3 years.

I got hired right out of grad school and I work in a district that has a problem keeping teachers. Mind you, I work in a very large district so there are lots of teaching positions here AND I was willing (WANTED) to leave Michigan. Most people I went to school with were hired right out of undergrad, but many were willing to leave Tennessee to get a job.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2014

As you should. Good luck!:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.