FLOORED I didn't get an interview

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by allaragallagher, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Apr 18, 2014

Hiring practices

Reading theses hiring stories are really amazing me. I've been teaching for twelve years. I was hired right out of college by the district. I I applied and interviewed with the district, and after signing my contract I went to a new teacher fair to interview with principals. Here you are hired by the district and then go into a hiring pool that allows you to apply at individual schools. Way back when if you did not get a school at a fair the district placed you. That's not the case now, but I don't know anyone that subs at a school with the hopes of being hired later. Many of our subs are retired teachers or are fresh out of college but have not found a job in their field, not licenced teachers without a position.
    Even if someone has an in, they would have to apply with the district before getting to the school level.

2. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 19, 2014

Wait, are you saying that you are fresh out of college, and expected to get an interview? There are people in teaching who have been job hunting for years.

3. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 19, 2014

Me? I'm a year out of college. I have no teaching experience because I spent the year substituting at that school waiting for the English positions to open up. And, yes, I expected an interview.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2014

Many people expect interviews. Honestly, it was not until I got on this site did I realize there was a teacher shortage problem nationally. I had never met (and still have never personally met) any teacher who has been looking for a job for more than 2 or 3 years.

I got hired right out of grad school and I work in a district that has a problem keeping teachers. Mind you, I work in a very large district so there are lots of teaching positions here AND I was willing (WANTED) to leave Michigan. Most people I went to school with were hired right out of undergrad, but many were willing to leave Tennessee to get a job.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2014

As you should. Good luck!:thumb:

6. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Apr 19, 2014

Sorry that happened to you but it's really common as pp have pointed out. Same thing happened to my husband. His cooperating teacher was actually the one retiring and even recommended him for her job. He didn't even get called for an interview. But looking back I know realize there were more qualified people with a lot more experience. Now 5 years later he actually did get called to interview for that position so don't give up. Keep reapplying.,

7. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Apr 20, 2014

As others have stated, this is likely a decision that was made in HR based simply on level of credential and years of experience. It isn't you, it's a formula for them to hire the "most qualified" teachers even if they might not be the best.

You are so smart to burn bridges.

I work as a special education teacher and work with another special education teacher. My credential is cleared, hers is not. We both applied for summer school, and I got called for an interview and she didn't. There's no issue- at all- with her work as an educator- it was only about the credential level.

You are very wise not to burn bridges. Best wishes to you.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2014

:confused: huh?

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 20, 2014

Then you live in a very different part of the country than I do. Here it's not unusual to meet people who have been subbing for four or five years and are still applying to jobs constantly. It's incredibly difficult to find jobs at the preferred districts, where each school may hire one person per year. If you want to go out to the sticks, maybe you might find something, or if you have a special ed cert, but in Los Angeles and Orange County, there just aren't jobs to be had.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 20, 2014

Wow, that's the exact opposite as here... if you want a job in DC, or the urban-ish suburbs nearby, you're almost guaranteed to get them, but if you want to get in to a rural district, then you'll need to wait for somebody to die.

11. Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

This is, in no way, representative of a teaching shortage across the nation.

On the contrary, I know of only a couple people who received teaching jobs within the first year out of school. I know many more who got a position then got laid off, long term sub, and so on.

I live in a rural/suburban area, and have been job hunting/subbing for several years. I eventually started my own private tutoring service for extra cash, but it's certainly nothing that would pay the bills. There's almost 0 positions even available (and being inside the school, I hear of more than somebody just browsing would) and most require experience.

I always ignore this when apply and apply anyway. My first app, much like OP, was to my student teaching district. The staff loved me at the school, the principal was fond of me, teachers always told me I'd be a great fit, I was way ahead of the game for a beginning teacher, etc. Supervisors told me I was performing better than many experienced teachers they've seen. I had my resume and cover letter professionally reviewed before submitting. I followed up. I never got picked for an interview, no response from anyone I contacted about it.

Oh well. Just have to keep looking. Moving far isn't an option due to my husband's career, and I like subbing, but I fear I may have to look at other career options if I wish to make any money.

12. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Apr 21, 2014

Research with actual data is needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, because actual people who have actual experience in actual situations is self-indulgent.

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 22, 2014

:yeahthat:

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 22, 2014

Anecdotal evidence has its place because conditions are NOT the same all over the country. Finding a job in Western New York is a very, very different animal altogether than trying to find a job in the DC metro. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of specific published research on, for example, finding a teaching job in Chautauqua County, New York, but over 500 people applied to one elementary job in a tiny district there. Just looking at the country as a whole and saying there's no teacher shortage/there is a teacher shortage is short-sighted, given how dramatically conditions change from one region to another.

16. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

May 13, 2014

Update: I went back to subbing there because I need the income. A newly created 7th & 8th grade position opened up and I applied for it. A teacher visited me yesterday and said she recommended me for the position when they posted it internally. She said that she told him she was surprised I wasn't interview for the other positions but that I'm good and he should consider me for the new one. Then she said that the Principal responded that if I'm that good maybe I should be superintendent.

???

She was really upset for me. (Nice gal.) I thanked her and told her I appreciated it. I don't understand his reaction. It's almost like everyone pulling for me hurt me. My family says if he wasn't considering me to begin with, they don't understand how multiple staff members recommending me could be hurtful.

For my part, I don't understand his sarcastic remark. He should be more professional. I don't care how many teachers have annoyed him about hiring me. He should say thank you for the recommendation, I'll look into it or I have other qualified candidates in mind.

I'm cutting my losses. I'm thinking I wouldn't want to work for him anyway. :) Just wanted to share my latest news.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 13, 2014

Wow, that was a rude comment to make. I'm sorry that he reacted that way.

18. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 13, 2014

just stick around, if your county is anything like ours, the principal will be switched out within a few years. They like to play musical principals. Most don't stay for more than 5 years. some as few as 2.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 13, 2014

That's too bad-sorry that happened, but even more so, sorry you had to hear about it. Sometimes you would just be better off not hearing stuff like that, kwim?

I always wonder what is going on with a person who makes comments like that. Either in their personal life or professional. Maybe he just got passed up for a superintendent graduate program...or even a job...no excuse, but I always find it fascinating to try and "analyze" someone. :)

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 13, 2014

Or...maybe he's just a jerk! Either way, probably a good idea to avoid that school for now.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 13, 2014

Ugh, I'm sorry, Allagallagher. How frustrating. The above sentence tells me, though, that you're having the right attitude. As tough as it gets, keep that good attitude, something will come along.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 13, 2014

I agree with Peachyness. A positive attitude will always keep you strong!

23. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 13, 2014

How in the WORLD does that happen????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.