FLOORED I didn't get an interview

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by allaragallagher, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 14, 2014

Hi all,

New member here. I found this forum late a few nights ago when I was trying to find anyone to talk to about my experience who might understand. I'll try to make this quick...

I graduated in 2013. I did my full fifteen-week student placement at a nearby HS. Both my mentor teacher and the only other HS English teacher planned to retire in a year. After graduation, I stayed involved with the HS by immediately agreeing to proctor the AP tests as a substitute.

I applied at fifteen or so other schools within 30 to 45 miles from where I live. I received one interview and didn't get the job. I wasn't upset because I knew two English positions were opening up at the HS I did my student teaching placement at.

I started substituting at the start of the 2014-2015 academic year.

I received A LOT of encouragement from the staff. A teacher e-mailed me the minute the positions were posted internally. I sent in my applications as soon as the jobs posted online. I called the superintendent's office about a week later to make sure my application packets had been received, and I made sure to catch the principal during lunch duty one day, shake his hand, and say I had submitted my applications.

That's it. I thought I had it made. Whenever I subbed, staff members would visit me and ask whether I had put my applications in. I would answer that I had and was crossing my fingers I would get a job.

The staff would tell me things like: I heard fifteen people applied. I heard so-and-so is on the hiring committee. I heard interviews are starting soon. It all sounded fine to me. I had gained all my experience at this HS and all of my references were teachers there.

The students started asking if I was going to be their teacher next year. I would say: "I've put in my applications. I don't know. I'm waiting on an interview. I hope so."

Last week on Wednesday, I was substituting there when they interviewed candidates for the English positions. I had three staff members come by and ask when I was scheduled to interview. I wasn't. I had never received a call. I knew by the look on their faces...

Taking initiative, I called the principal the next morning (Thursday) to say I had heard interviews were taking place and I was wondering if I was scheduled to interview. He didn't return my call.

My mentor teacher wrote me that day. She had just learned I wasn't getting an interview. She was floored. I still didn't believe it. I had done my field experience observations there, my student teaching there, and had substitute taught there for a year.

I didn't even get an interview.

Why?

I received an official e-mail from the superintendent's office on Friday informing me I wasn't selected as a candidate. I was devastated. I cried for a long time. I felt completely used.

I wrote a polite e-mail to the principal saying it was a pleasure to work there and could he offer me any advice regarding why I was not selected and how I might improve upon my resume and cover letter for the future. No reply.

I can't go back to substituting there. I know the professional thing to do would be to shrug it off and keep working, but I know staff members will come by and tell me how sorry they are for me, how they don't understand, etc.

What do you think happened? Has this, or something like it, happened to you?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 14, 2014

Some places don't hire their subs. Could that be a possibility?

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 14, 2014

I don't know about hiring practices in your school board, but here they are very much based on a very impersonal algorithm. You get a certain amount of points for each part of your application. For example, having a degree in English would get you a certain number of points. Having a Masters in English would get you even more. You get a certain number of points for your years of FULL TIME experience in the subject area. Someone with only substitute experience would get very few points (if any) while someone with two or three years teaching English in their own classroom would get significantly more.

All of these points are tallied by a computer and the names of the top five candidates are then sent to the principal, who can choose to interview all or some of them.

I know it's hard but try not to take it personally. My SO is a substitute teacher and a few years back my principal made me aware of a job opening up at my school and encouraged SO to apply. He did and didn't get a call. My principal apologized to me, but said his hands were tied. Too many people with higher scores than SO applied.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 14, 2014

I had a similar experience when I was starting out. The lessons I learned:

A) School districts are LOUSY and LAZY in the Human Resources Department.

B) School districts use people........................a lot.
    :(

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2014

You might be experiencing the phenomenon of needing experience to get a job but no one will give you experience.

Sorry this has happened to you. Don't give up!

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you did everything perfectly and had the backing of fellow staff members. I would assume, as you did, that you would have been at the top of their list.

All I can say is that you did nothing wrong. While you may never know why it didn't work out at THAT school, be reassured that it wasn't because of you. The fellow teachers would not be that excited to back you if there was something wrong on your end.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

It could be something like they need a football coach, and you aren't.

That's what happened to me. I practically had my nameplate on the door, then the current football coach resigned, and another interviewee was A) a man, and B) a coach. I was out. I didn't even get a rejection call. I found out via the secretary's horrified face at the town carnival when I asked her if she knew when they would make a decision.

They already had.

But, then something happened...that Man-Coach couldn't get out of his current contract. So they called me two weeks later to offer me the job.

I worked there for the next 7 years.

You just never know. Don't burn a bridge-you never know when you'll need to humbly cross it again.

LizCaffey likes this.
  9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 14, 2014

I'm so sorry I'm in a similar boat at the school I'm subbing at. I don't know how they figure out who they pick and choose to interview. They've held some interviews already and I have not gotten any kind of call back. The only hope I have left is that I know they promote from within and maybe want to interview outside candidates formally first before reaching out to internal candidates.

I would continue to sub there, it's possible that there could be some future shifts in the next few months or that the candidates they are interviewing aren't what they are looking for and they might give your application a second look.

10. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Apr 14, 2014

Please don't get discourage. During my student teaching semester, I got an excellent letter of rec from my ct. The year I student taught there were 3 openings in the department. I didn't apply because I knew I needed at least 3 years of experience and a masters degree; neither of which I had. They may have been looking for someone with a different educational background or more experience.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

You did everything you were supposed to do. It may have been, like the above poster said that they were looking for someone with additional certifications or qualifications, such coaching, a specific certification, or experience with AP courses or ELD, etc.

I totally understand how you feel, and to be honest with you I'm not sure if I would go back. If you stuck around hoping you'd get hired, and chose not to sub at other schools, then don't go back, because now you don't have that purpose.
    If you can't or don't want to sub anywhere else, because other districts have way too many subs, or you don't like those schools, they're too far, etc, then sure go back and continue working at this school, it will still give you a paycheck and something to put on your resume.

Some subbing experiences give you experience, paycheck, are a resume builder and others a way to get in. You know this is not a get-your-foot-in type of job.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

Easier said than done, but I wouldn't take it too personally. If they have that many applicants, they had to choose who to interview.

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 14, 2014

That's rough, and impossible not to take personally. You could do a bit of snooping later and see who they hired. Maybe somebody better connected with important people in the district applied? Maybe someone with dual certification who could fill multiple rolls? It might give you some clues.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

Exactly.

OP, if you need a paycheck, you need a paycheck. I wouldn't walk away from one for the unknown because my feelings were hurt. And I'm sure this won't be the last time your feelings or pride gets hurt at work. It just is what it is.

Good luck!

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 14, 2014

Sorry that happened to you. I had a very positive student teaching experience. My cooperating teacher would rave about me to the principal. At the end of the school year, my cooperating teacher unexpectedly had to take a leave of absence and I went right from student teaching to finishing out the last couple of weeks of the school year as the lead teacher. The principal made a point of publicly thanking me - for stepping in and doing a good job - at the children's elementary school graduation.

At this time, a position opened up for the following year and everyone told me I was a shoe in. Yes, I was interviewed but it was clear within the first 90 seconds that I wasn't getting the job. The principal sat me down and told me that "unfortunately", there were literally hundreds of experienced teachers who'd applied for the job. Then he asked me a couple of token questions that I answered as he watched the clock over my head. I was in and out in 10 minutes and he never even bothered to let me know when they hired someone else. I did continue to sub there in the beginning of the following year and within a couple of weeks, they offered me an LTS position. I had convinced myself that they didn't offer me the job because they didn't think highly of me, but when they offered me the LTS position, they said they thought of me the moment it came up and were excited to offer it to me. So what I'm saying is, you never know.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2014

As previous posters have stated there are many different reasons why you might have no gotten an interview. Having no experience would be my guess- unfortunately they're probably looking for people with actual experience, not subbing experience. But it does sound like you- and the rest of the staff- sort of had your hopes up a little too high. It's a tough job market in many places unfortunately everything you've stated doesn't get you a job, even though it seems like you thought for sure it would.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 14, 2014

Did you take a some type of teacher insight test- gallup, or teacher perciever, star teacher, or teacher fit, etc as part of your application? A lot of districts require these types of tests with applications and then principals will just choose the top 1% or 5% of scorers when determining who to interview. They could also be thinking that you're a good sub and they don't want to lose you in that capacity. It could be experience as well, like another poster said. My district pretty much has an unofficial policy that they won't hire first year teachers except in extreme cases.

Depending on your relationship with your mentor teacher, if I were you I'd ask her to see if she could figure out what the story is on you not getting an interview. I know at my school something like that would be fairly easy to figure out if you asked the right people.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2014

My former P pretty much promised a person a job once during an interview (midyear due to enrollment increase). Her mother-in-law worked at our school, she subbed at our school, she was getting the job. Then the district made a phone call and 'recommended' that she hired a district administrator's niece. So, the poor person was promised a job and didn't get it. She showed up to sub the next day with a smile on her face. That summer, we had an opening and she DID get the job.

It may be hard, but I would recommend still subbing. It could have had everything to do with the district and nothing to do with you. I've not gotten interviews for openings and I should have. It happens.

19. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Apr 14, 2014

I would guess it is because you had no experience as well. A lot of schools rather have someone with a lot of experience than someone with a little experience at their school. There is a student teacher turned Long-Term Sub at my current school who is not being considered as a permanent replacement as well. Last year, our principal hired a student teacher to teach math after his first 2 choices fell through. It sucked because she knew she was his 3rd choice and, lucky for her, she found a better job over the summer and left him in a lurch.

Also, years ago, I was a long-term sub for my dream position. I went through 3 rounds of interviews and demo lessons and all the while I was working there and volunteering to help with things after school, etc. I was still brushed off in favor of a woman who had 5 years of experience and was returning from a few years at home with a baby. That was just a safer bet than someone like me who had just graduated and didn't really live in the area. I was crushed, but I got over it and you will too! I wish you luck!

20. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 14, 2014

Thanks everyone. I definitely needed to hear all of this. It's really, really hard not to take it personal. Every time I think I have a grasp on it, I think of some small detail and all my forward progress gets obliterated. Luckily, I didn't burn any bridges and I didn't call and have my name taken off the substitute list, so maybe I will get a call. I'm not sure though. I'm pretty sure my mentor teacher, who I'm very close to, made quite a fuss. She made quite a fuss about not being on the hiring committee to begin with.

After reading all this feedback, I would really like to get some substituting experience somewhere else (even though substituting experience counts for nothing :whistle:) but I might have burned a few bridges there. I submitted substitute applications at three schools but focused entirely on the one. I received two calls from one of the others early on and it worked out that I was unavailable both times. I called the other and had my name removed because the one was keeping me unavailable most days. I am going to give both schools and call and tell them that my availability has changed.

I do know that the job I didn't get that I interviewed for last year was given to a friend in the same graduating class as me. He is a local boy (whereas I am "from away") and he had coaching experience. I have experienced that scenario already, kcjo13. There is a job opening again at that school this year and I just called to re-activate my application. I am taking in my updated resume and letters. Maybe I'll score another interview... would they hire two from the same class a year apart? Probably not.

Again. Thanks so much for all the feedback. It's exactly what I needed to keep chugging away.

21. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Apr 14, 2014

Don't feel bad. It sucks when you feel like you're not wanted. Let me tell you a story.

I got my elementary teaching credential 3 years ago. I applied for 20-30 jobs. Had no interviews. Although I was a first year teacher, I had almost a decade of support services experience. I was in education and knew more about education than the next new teacher (or even some experienced teacher). My student teaching went well and I had the references to back it up. Regardless, no bites. I had to survive off unemployment insurance.

I went back and got my secondary math teaching credential to open up my job prospect. Applied for close to 80 positions with maybe two interviews with no call backs. It drains your soul to fill out so many applications knowing you are going to be ignored or it'll lead nowhere. I went back and got two more secondary credentials because I didn't want to give up. I want to make myself even more marketable.

I finally landed a job after my first interview in roughly another 10-15 applications. This year, I am wrapping up my first full year of teaching. People tell me I'm doing a great job for a first year. My students enjoy me. And I was recently offered a permanent contract at a district I wanted to work in from the beginning.

Life sucks in education when you first start out. It's tough making yourself stand out but don't give up if this is what you want. You just need that one chance.

22. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 15, 2014

Unfortunately, this seems the most likely explanation for me. In some districts, subbing is a great way to get a foot in the door. In others, it's a great way to ensure they will always think of you as a sub and nothing more.

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

It sounds like you did everything you could have. For some reason, they didn't see you as the right candidate for the job. There could be a number of reasons why this is the case, but I would just try to move on. I know it's tough. Four years ago, I wanted to move to an open position at the school where I was already teaching. My principal made me interview, and he hired an outside candidate. I, too, was completely devastated and cried for a very long time. It was difficult to finish the school year, but I did, and then found a job at a different school. I kept wondering what was wrong with me, but I had to just get over it and move on.

Find a job somewhere else, work your butt off, and make them regret not hiring you!

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

This is actually a good point. My district requires Teacher Insight, and they are only allowed to interview tier 1 teachers. I've told my principal about some amazing candidates, but she wasn't even allowed to interview them because of their score. So stupid, but that's the way it is.

25. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 15, 2014

I quite passionately hate these surveys. I think they are a terrible example of who I am. Not just in these employment surveys, but even just personality surveys that I take for fun - they've never worked for me, and results nearly always come out inconclusive or multiple types if it's for pegging you as a certain personality type. This is from someone who is usually told by employers that I score quite well on these, which is just because I know what they want me to choose. And, there are some great candidates who score poorly, and some awful ones who score well.

OP, I'm sorry about your situation. How awful. :hugs:

26. woodd2

woodd2 Rookie

Apr 16, 2014

I had a very similar experience

I student taught for 16 weeks at the school, did a great job and had 2 letters of recommendation from my cooperating teachers by the end of my placement. I graduated in December, so I spent the following semester substituting and even volunteering in hopes of getting an interview for any openings the next school year. In addition, the school I student taught at even emailed my university stating that they were looking for recent graduates, such as myself, for openings they had coming up.

That summer the school had a bunch of openings and I wasn't even considered. I was pretty angry because of the amount of time I had spent at the school and the effort I went through to show I was very interested in the school. I haven't been back since because I don't feel that it was fair to not consider me.

27. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 16, 2014

Sometimes it is all about who you know and who is best buds.

Sad but true.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 16, 2014

Well, it stinks that you didn't get an interview. I agree that it seems like you did all you could but by no means do districts ever really OWE anyone an interview. They could have had only a certain number of interview slots and already had certain people in mind. There are probably many people who also thought they deserved an interview but didn't get one. Just apply for the next job that comes up and see what happens.

29. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 16, 2014

Yes, I was blessed to be friends with someone who left her position for another position closer to her home. She gave my name to the P and I was hired for her position. During new teacher orientation, the P said I was "highly recommended" so I guess my friend provided good words about me! :D

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2014

Something similar happend to me. I was a special education aide at a middle school. There was going to be an open ELA position. I applied for the job, interviewed for the job. Everyone thought I had it. I thought I had it. The vibes were positive going into and coming out of the interview. I didn't get the job. I had to face the staff the rest of that school and the next school year. Not to mention seeing the woman on a daily basis who 'took my job'. It was a blessing in disguise because 1) she had horrible classes that year and 2) I took a special education teaching job in a neighboring district that ended up being fantastic.

31. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Apr 16, 2014

Because they take you for granted. You are working for 80 a day, so why would they bump you up to full-time pay?
    Take your skills somewhere else.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 17, 2014

If you are in such good standing with the people in that school then use it to your advantage to get reference letters from them ASAP so you could apply elsewhere. You might eventually get a job there but why not look elsewhere also?

33. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Apr 17, 2014

Oh, I've done that. I knew to do that while everyone feels sorry for me now. I asked for updated letters (mentioning my growth over the past year as a substitute teacher) from my original three references, and I asked two other staff members for recommendations. I dropped off stamped, self addressed envelopes and have already gotten two of them back. I have seven letters to pick and choose from from that HS, plus the ones from my professors and my student teacher supervisor.

I didn't take any test or survey to apply so it didn't involve whether I had the right amount of points or the highest percentage score.

34. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2014

It's great that the teachers at the school like you so much and wanted you to get a job there. But they really have no say in it. But hopefully their recommendations will help you as you continue your search elsewhere.

35. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 17, 2014

They try to hire the most qualified and experienced teachers. They might not have given you an interview because they knew you were a new teacher and they were looking for an older more experience teacher for those positions.

I would recommend keep getting more experience teaching/subbing. Observe what good teachers do and talk to who ever for ideas on classroom management, how consequences/discipline works in the schools, learning different technology, etc that might help when you eventually do get hired full time.

36. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Apr 17, 2014

Things work out the way they do for a reason. Some day you will look back and realize that this happening in your life happened for a reason. Keep your chin up and carry on!

37. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 17, 2014

There are so many internal politics going on...maybe they wanted someone with more actual classroom experience. Maybe someone who left to take care of a baby or ill relative was ready to come back full time again. Maybe...and this was actually the case in one district where I worked, someone's grandfather was old friends with the superintendent so she had an in.
    It drives me crazy that for all the talk we do about controlling our own lives and destinies, that our employment is wrapped up in the decisions of other people. From the hiring process to reviews, we're totally controlled by other people's opinions and actions. All you can do is all you can do. Keep trying elsewhere. If nothing else, you should have some decent recommendations from people who saw you in action.

38. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2014

I just had this conversation with a colleague the other day. We discussed how teaching is like a retail or customer service job because we have NO control over any of the people we interact with and, in some cases, their opinions of us can have an impact on our employment/evaluations. We can't choose our students and we can't choose their parents (much less choose our bosses). AND, we have to service these clients day after day after day - no matter how awful an interaction we have had with them in the past.

39. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Apr 18, 2014

Or, someone is confused about who you really are! After I was hired I had to go fill out paperwork. The superintendent started talking to me about my grandfather and how he hoped he was enjoying his retirement from the fire department. My grandfathers didn't even live in the state I was in, nor did they ever work for the fire department!

40. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 18, 2014

Yes! I once got a job because they accidentally called my references instead of the references of the candidate they wanted. My references spoke so highly of me I ended up being offered the job!!

LizCaffey likes this.
  41. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2014

Something similar happened to me, but I was the person who was mistaken for. One of the other girls that was hired at the same time I was was mistaken for me, got the job. Luckily there was another opening and I was actually called and got the job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.