flooded classroom

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by cdorey13, Oct 16, 2007.

1. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

SOOOO... I opened my door on Monday morning to 3-4 inches of water... Here's how it happened! On Friday, the drinking fountain in my classroom would not turn off after one of my students got a drink. The janitor checked it and said he couldn't turn it off because there was no shut-off valve and he would have to turn off ALL of the school's water. He said Maintainance was being called and they would send someone over to look at it. It was still running hours later and the office said, "Go home! They are coming to fix it!" Hmmm... we still don't know who dropped the ball but it was still running Monday morning! So help me understand this part though??? They sucked out the water, brought in 2 fans to dry everything out but DID NOT pull up the carpet. When I asked why they weren't pulling up the carpet I was told, "This is high traffic carpet with rubber padding under it. It is not like the padding you have at home. Because it is rubber it will dry out. We are also treating the carpet with a chemical that will prevent mildew or mold." Today I opened my classroom door and OMG, it smelled so bad that I was gagging! They sprayed the carpet with deodorizer but it still was stinky at 5pm. They are putting my furniture back in tomorrow and say that I can be back in my room on Thursday... what do you all think?? Doesn't sound right to me but I am not a carpet expert. Any input???:confused:

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 17, 2007

This experience is horrible for you. If you should develop allergy or respiratory issues, then its definitely the floor!
    Did the water reach the shelves or ruin your personal stuff?

4. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Oct 17, 2007

This happened to me when I was a TA. We didn't have a full flood, we had water dripping daily from the ac unit. We kept telling them and they ignored us. Eventually we had a large wet area of squishy carpet. It smelled SO bad. The kids started to complain and so did the staff because they started to have breathing/allergy issues. FINALLY they came in and tore the whole thing out and the smell and air quality dramatically improved right away.

I am no expert, either, but I think you will know once you are back in.
    It seems to me they should have torn it up!!!!!! If you go back in there and it dries (how long will that take) and still stinks and you feel like your breathing is funny or someone else complains of that or allergy issues, you really need to talk with your Principal or see the Union. You do NOT want to mess with mold and mildew. My sinuses were fine before but never right after I worked there-I totally believe that carpet caused my problems.

Good luck!

5. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

Talk with your union/prin ASAP! It needs to be ripped up, idc how well made that carpet might be, it is not safe after a few days of being wet! My school had a problem like that in the vents/ceilings. It happened in one classroom and was PAINTED OVER, the mold eventually spread to all classrooms in that hallway and we had to relocate to the GYM TO TEACH while they ripped down the ceiling and vent system, now we have a crappy vent system and a crappy ceiling tile system (you get what you pay for =/)

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2007

Well I am not an expert but I have had carpet with the rubber backing before and it has gotten wet. This is what REALLY happens, the water will seep under the carpet along the edges, getting under the pad (3-4 inches of water pretty much guarantees this will happen) now you have water under a non breathable surface. The water will NOT dry out, eventually when they do pull the carpet they will find water UNDER the carpet. The mold will grow and continue to grow. The only solution is to take it up. The only advantage to a carpet with a rubber backing is that it may be dried and reinstalled, MAY being a umm, well not a sure thing.

Eventually the smell will become unbareable....if neccessary and your union/prince will not do anything, call OSHA, it is a health/safety issue.

7. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Thanks everyone for the input. The BIGGER problem right now is I am currently PROB 2 and not a tenured teacher in this district... so I can't make too big of a deal. They moved my stuff back in and I am starting to teach again in there tomorrow (Monday). I'm going to sniff around and see what happens but so far it seems to be okay, smell that is.

As for my stuff, it actually only got a few of my posters that were in a box and most of them were from when I taught 2nd grade and I don't plan on using them anytime soon. I feel lucky that nothing really got ruined. There was a lot of moisture in the air and I have 10 computers in my room so I am hoping those survived but they are district computers and our tech is coming this week to reinstall them so it will be his problem if they don't work. : )