Flipped the Bird!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kinderkids, Oct 3, 2006.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2006

Well, it happened today. One of my beaners flipped off a fourth grader! UGH! She knew it was a naughty thing to do...........but did it anyhow. Obviously she doesn't know the EXACT meaning, but I gave her "the talk" and told her it is disrespectful and compared it to sticking the tongue at someone, etc. She visited the principal.
    Curious......what do you do when this happens in your classroom and the child KNOWS it is naughty. I'd be curious to hear how other K teachers handle "THE BIRD"! LOL!

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

I would probably have called home too. It is wrong. What did you do? I would have freaked a little. Did the fourth grader crack up?

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2006

Yup, the parents were informed.......they were glad I handled it the way I did (principal, etc)..... according to mom and dad,this isn't the first time she's done it, either. They hope she learned a lesson!
    The fourth grader didn't crack up, he couldn't believe she did it.

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

It is amazing how kids can act sometimes. Today, I had a tantrum in both sessions. It was a LONG day.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2006

Sorry Kinder:( I think you handled it well. I bet she won't do it again, going to the principal probably really got the message across. Hope Mom and Dad read her the riot act at home.

Wow, it's amazing how kids pick up such bad habits...

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2006

Oh, her parents are wonderful........and they did read her the riot act. She came in today very meek and humble.......I can definitely say, she learned her lesson.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2006

Oh my. I got in trouble when I was little for doing this. I think I was about 6 years old too. Our neighbor across the street use to tease me and one day I just had enough. Of course, the little tattle tale had to go and say something to my dad. I got in trouble and never did it again. Well, until I was older that is. HA!

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 5, 2006

Wow, I really led a sheltered childhood. I think I was at least 10 or 11 years old before I knew what that symbol was and what it meant. It's pretty frightening what kids know at such young ages these days.

10. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Yeah, had that happen too. I usually pull the class from what they are doing and talk about it (or whatever it is someone has done). We talk about how it feels to have it happen to you and if it hurts your feelings etc.. Maybe sounds touchy feely and it takes a while to sink in but I believe in the end it works. :)