Flipped Primary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 25, 2012.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

I'm considering using the "flipped" education model next year by having the kids watch a BrainPOP! video the night before and discussing it in class. It could be a station during math or ELA so we could have a small group talk about what they saw.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 25, 2012

Do all of your students have the ability to watch at home? Some of my students, unfortunately, don't have internet access.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

I assume all of your students have access to the Internet at home. We have a limited subscription that stipulates only three users can be logged in at once...so that's something to consider.

I know a few people abuse BrainPOP! by attempting to have the characters replace the role of teacher, which is just absurd, but I really enjoy it. I don't usually introduce topics with it, but allow it to serve as a review. I love when the students recognize something I have already explained...it's funny because the kids are like, "Oh, she must know what she's talking about if Tim says it, too." Haha. :)

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

Haha, Tim and Moby are experts.

We have a license for the school and they can use it after school, too. It used to change at 3:00 so they could only use it during school hours.

Last year everyone had internet at home. I'll have to meet my new class to find out for the coming year. It's extremely technology heavy here, but that doesn't mean everyone is online. If you live in Google's town, it does - they give free wifi in the city limits!

JustMe, thank you for responding to my thread. Sometimes I feel all alone in AtoZland. Janlee, thanks to you, too.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

:hugs:

Love your topics!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

I think it could be a fun thing, but like others mentioned I know not all of my kids would have access...you could also maybe make it like a bonus/extra credit type thing in case some of your kids have access but don't get to go on the computer often. :)

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 25, 2012

I'm going to try it too-but kind of a modified version of it. I think I'm going to use it more for differentiation. So if I'm teaching a lesson on the letter A and Johnny already knows how to read-I might set him up on BrainPop or Discovery to learn something new about a topic coming up or one that interests him and then incorporate that into his activities.

I'm still working it out in my head :whistle: but I definitely think there are ways to better use the technology we have access to now.

JustMe-my kids get so annoyed when the little girl in the Jr. one (I can't remember her name) always asks the question and then answers it. Then I get paranoid--isn't that what I do most of the time!

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

I thought more about this. I might have kids preview the BrainPOP video if they can, then show it to start the small group lessons. That way some kids will have the preview, but all kids will have seen it. Minilesson: watch brainpop vid; centers: work on that skill.

That might work?

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like a great plan! I would definitely try it out. If you find all students are watching the video you can stop using it as a mini lesson.

Or you could make it their morning work if they forgot to log in to watch it...

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 26, 2012

Mopar, thanks for that. I had the thought... school starts at 8:15 but kids roll in between 8:00 and 8:25. (yes, I hate that) . I could play the BrainPOP! right at 8:15, maybe more kids would be on time. Unfortunately (this is a topic for another thread?) it's the parents who bring the kids late, and they are probably the ones who would forget to watch the video the night before, too.