Flipped Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chemteach55, Oct 23, 2016.

1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2016

I have totally flipped my chemistry classes this year and it has worked out great so far. I love it and so do the students. I have modified the flip process a little to suit the needs of me and my students. Anyone else trying a flipped or modified flipped classroom and want to compare?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2016

What do you mean by this?

4. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Oct 23, 2016

He physically took hold of the structure in which his class was held and then upended said structure. It's my guess atleast.

MsAbeja likes this.
  5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2016

I am female--not all chemistry teachers are males!!

MsAbeja and Peregrin5 like this.
  6. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Oct 23, 2016

So how did you flip the class?

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2016

I modified the flipped model by having the students do video notes for homework. The day the lecture homework, I give a mini-lecture on the material and usually have them add in a few things to the notes they took for homework. We then do the practice problems, labs, or other activities. They then have to take a quiz on the material. They must make a 100 on the quiz and they have 3 chances. I go over individually with them anything they get wrong on their quiz. They get a packet at the beginning of the topic that contains 4 sections in it. Usually 3 sections have notes, a practice activity, and a quiz. The last level is usually a lab and something written instead of a quiz. There are normally 2-3 topics on a test. They have only 1 chance to take a test. They get a 100 point grade on each topic packet and the test depends on how many topics are on it--usually there are 50 points on each topic on a test.

Backroads likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2016

Everything I read about flipped classrooms left it very open to being able to run the classroom time in a variety of ways. Was there a model you based your flipped classroom from since you said you made some changes, but your explanation doesn't seem to indicate anything modified from the resources I have read.

Also, as a student I was in a flipped classroom for most of HS. It was called read the textbook the night before then we worked and did activities in class. LOL Technology hadn't caught up to the idea.

jadorelafrance likes this.
  9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2016

I wasn't saying that I invented a new way to do a flipped classroom. What I use is more of a flipped mastery classroom model. I was just trying to see if others were doing something similar. I was not looking for smart a&& comments. This is why I stopped posting on A to Z about a year ago. I guess I will go back to not reading this forum.

10. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Oct 23, 2016

I am really sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to make a joke.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2016

It was not my intention at all to be a smart a$$. Everything I read about flipped classrooms has been very generic. Since you said you modified it, I really was interested in where you started. I thought you may have had a specific resource you used that spelled out "flipped classroom" in a very specific way.

Yes, I did make a joke about the old days before technology and how teachers back then did something similar to today's flipped classroom. It was not meant to insult you, but it is interesting how things come around again packaged under new names.

It was never my intention to insult.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2016

I teach high school juniors and getting them used to a different way of teaching was the biggest obstacle. I split my class into 8 topics and split each topic into 2-3 modules. The topics roughly correspond to the units on my curriculum documents. Students get a module packet for each module and each module is split into 4 parts Levels D-A. The thinking and the skills go higher as they progress from D to C to B to A. There are normally quizzes to pass out of the D, C, and B Levels and a Lab or something written at the A Level. They have 3 chances to take a quiz to pass out of a level. I use Schoology for quizzes so I set up a test bank for each level so each quiz a student takes is different from their peers and their own earlier quizzes. If they do not pass a level that is where they level out but they still get points for finishing the rest of the module work and doing the lab but not as many as if they are able to level up to the B Level. I am really looking for ideas on how I can improve what I am doing. I do give notes in class but instead of notes taking 2-3 days as in the past (basically the majority of my class time) because they write so slow, we are refining and highlighting key points in less than 1 class.

Attached Files:

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 24, 2016

THANK YOU for coming back to the conversation. I have recently switched schools and am getting the hang of blended / flipped learning. Some students are here every day, while others come in for appointments a couple of times a week to go over assignments and ask questions. I need to sit down with your modules and see how mine might be improved in comparison.

Backroads and chemteach55 like this.
  14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2016

I automatically meet with every student at least 3 times during a module to go over quizzes. The ones who fail quizzes are met with more often. They are normally the ones who would never meet one on one with a teacher so this part has worked out great and these kids are even to come and ask for help when they are stick because there is no way to just blend into the background.

15. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Oct 25, 2016

Are students expected to work independently or in small groups? I only ask because I see you have included a couple of POGILS in your modules.

a2z likes this.
  16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2016

Thank you for providing the information.

Bear with me please, I'm still a bit confused. It seems that class time is filled with watching videos or going to websites for information and answering questions. I can't really tell what is what I would consider and "activity". That may mean we have different definitions of what "activity" means.

Does this mean that you are more of just a mentor and a guide during class time? You are relying on your planning, videos, and other websites so the students can be the ones teaching themselves while you guide them?

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

For my flipped classroom, the reading, videos, and websites are used for individualized instruction, and they are largely done at home. The classroom time is used for answering questions and completing assignments where I am available as a resource. The "flip" is that the assignments are done in class and the instruction is done somewhat independently.

chemteach55 likes this.
  18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

They do both--the POGILS are done as small groups and discussed as a class. The notes and practice are individual and assigned as homework. I do check to make sure that they are done and we do go over in class. Labs are also done in groups with students writing individual conclusions.

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

The videos are all homework. Then when I teach it in class, they already have an outline of sorts to add to as we go over it. They are also able to have questions ready for the day that I teach the material. They are not teaching themselves at all--I still "lecture" but they are adding to the notes they took for homework. Basically they are not writing definitions and notes that are review from previous classes which makes note taking go from 2-3 days to about 1 day and I am now able to give them more time to work on problems in class when I am there to help if they get stuck. I am also able to do more than one lab per topic. For activities I tend to use POGILS labs, problem solving, and group research.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

Do you still do any "whole class instruction?"

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

Very little, but that is because I'm in a credit recovery school and everyone is on a different academic schedule. I tend to do the most direct group instruction when reviewing for the state tests.

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

I am in a similar boat in that my classes are mixed between Dual Enrollment College Chemistry and Regular High School Chemistry. The flipped method allows me to reach each student at the proper level.

23. ladybugteacher

ladybugteacher Companion

Oct 25, 2016

I still like my idea of physically taking hold of the building structure and upending it.

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 25, 2016

I love the idea of this, if I really needed more time do complete more labs and such, but being new, I need more stuff to fill my block periods, and planning labs and such are really difficult. Also not all of my students have internet access at home. :(

But I could see doing this for a curriculum that I was really confident in, and had a lot more lab ideas for that I wanted to get in.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

Many of my students are lacking home connectivity as well. The bulk of the work I send home is in packet form. If I want them to watch a video, they have time to do that while they are in my learning center for their appointments. Worst case scenario, I don't mind spending a little cash on flash drives to send an mp4 home with students who are at a deficit otherwise.

@Peregrin5, you might want to ask your school about Gizmos as virtual labs. It's not a cheap program, but it would save money on lab equipment as well as time.

26. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

@Peregrin5 don't waste money on Gizmos, PHET is free and does everything that Gizmos do.

I am very lucky in that I teach in a private school and in 6 years I have only had one student without Internet access at home. I use Schoology as my LMS and can set things as assignments so they at least have to play the video to get credit for the notes and I do check that the notes and practice are done. Some do copy but at least they have a copy of the notes should they choose at some point to study.

@PallasAthena Labs are typically small group. I teach 4 different preps (Chem 1, Chem 2, Physics, and Forensic Science) in a small Catholic school and so my lab budget is stretched thin so I usually have 2-3 groups at most doing a lab at one time due to limitations with equipment and the other 2-3 groups are doing something else. I do have an IPad cart with 20 IPads and a laptop cart with 20 laptops in my classroom so I always have access to technology and about 80% of my students have their own computers. I give most of my quizzes through Schoology so grading is easy. I do differentiate everything because I have to--my classes range from very low students to dual enrolled college students so a good bit of the time they have different questions or activities based on their group.

PallasAthena likes this.
  27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

Holy heck, THANK YOU for tipping me off to PHET! My counterpart teaching Science could use this for students who refuse to do traditional labs.

chemteach55 likes this.
  28. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2016

Is your attached units all done at home? If so, how long do you expect it to take them each night? What are you doing in class? You did say labs and "other stuff" on ipads.

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2016

Only the notes are done at home. They work the practice in class. Other things I do in class is discuss any notes they took at home, virtual labs, actual labs, lots of practice problems, quizzes, tests, remediation with my weaker students and higher thinking with my middle level and dual enrolled students. Basically the only thing that is NOT done in class is the actual writing of the notes. They do have a work day about once a week in class where they can work on the next set of notes due while I pull various students for various reasons. My classroom is divided into zones--I have a chair next to my desk where they can sit one on one with me for help, I have a small group teaching zone (like the U-shaped tables in elementary) where I pull small groups to work on common mistakes that I observe or see on quizzes, there are 2 large group work zones where groups can work on POGILS or collaborative activities, and there is a I want to be left alone today zone for anyone who is doing anything that requires their full attention and concentration. My students have less homework than they did in the past when we took notes in class and worked problems for homework. Whole class activities take 10-15 minutes of class time and during the rest of class they are working on small group activities (Collaborative Learning Activities such as POGILS or labs or solving problems) or getting help from me or a peer.

PallasAthena likes this.
  30. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2016

Apologizing for the "is the attached units" mistake. Oops. Should have proof read.

31. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2016

Sounds great. Have you seen improved learning doing it this way?

How much time did it take to find all of the videos or is there a site that other have contributed to that link videos that are satisfactory for certain standards?

Sorry. You can asking for our help and here we are asking you about it all.

PallasAthena likes this.
  32. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2016

I have seen an improvement in learning. Nobody can just blend into the background. The kids seem to like it also. They are asking questions when they do not understand something. I have been able to incorporate many different types of activities. Some of them write so slow that last year I felt that all I was doing was lecturing with a lab or POGIL tossed in once in a while.
    This year I am interacting with my students much more and I am having fun teaching again.
    As far as finding videos, I usually google the objective and choose videos as my file return type. There is lots out there that is very good for chemistry and physics. It is harder to find note type videos for forensics so I have been doing more webquests with that group.
    I do not mind answering the questions because it is forcing me to look at what I am going with a more critical eye so I am also getting something from this discussion.

33. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2016

I have tried discussion boards in the past and they have never worked out like I wanted them to. This year I am concentrating on perfecting the flipped classroom but I will think about trying discussion boards later in the year. Right now most of the reflection comes in the form of class discussions, lab conclusions, and opinion essays. They also peer grade essays and labs and give constructive critiques. So far all peer grading has been done anonymously.