Flipped classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CindyBlue, Jan 7, 2015.

1. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 7, 2015

For those who have been using it, does it work? Pros, cons?

3. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 9, 2015

No takers? I'm really curious...our school administration is beginning to rumble about flipped classrooms, and I haven't yet found much evidence to convince me that it is "cost effective" in terms of the time it would take to set it up vs whether it makes a real difference (i.e. improvement in learning.)

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

I like the idea, but I could never use it because most of our students have no computers or internet at home. Sorry I can't really help you.

5. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jan 9, 2015

I don't have a classroom to flip quite yet, but once I get a job, I intend on flipping my math lessons. I'm still trying to determine how I can flip a few other subjects.

I've looked into flipping classrooms quite a bit. I really like the Fizz Method (http://lodgemccammon.com/flip/research/fizz-method/ and https://www.fi.ncsu.edu/project/fizz/). So far, this is my favorite method for 2 reasons: the simplicity of creating the videos (with just me, a camera, and whiteboard slides) and the student-teacher relationship it provides (since the students see the teacher on the screen, looking at them).

I wouldn't assign the videos as homework. Instead, I would play the videos in lieu of me teaching the content. You can pare down a 30-40 minute lecture into 5-10 minutes because there are no interruptions or pausing. You can stop the video for short discourses, and the rest of the block can be spent with students grouped by ability. It frees the teacher up to spend more time with the lower level students. At least that is the theory. :)

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

Maybe it would be a good idea to record myself teaching a certain concept and replay it when needed.
    For example, when we were writing an essay, and after a couple of weeks of working on everything and then the essay, some students would say "what's a counterargument? how do I refute it?" I could just replay it 10 times and not get frustrated. :)

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

A few of the 4th grade teachers at my school do some flipped lessons. I know that they like using it for science. They'll provide videos or other resources to help students develop background knowledge, or they will show/tell experiment directions, so that when kids come to class they can just jump in and get started. They are one to one with iPads, and have a grant for students who do not have internet access at home.

8. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 10, 2015

Thanks, everyone. I like the ideas of videos for the kids to watch when they get stuck, but there are so many out there already that are much better than I could ever make that I just hate to spend the time it would take to make my own. I've made a few and it's a real pain. I was just wondering if a flipped classroom really does improve learning, and hope to hear about it from teachers.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2015

Same.

I've added a portion to my website that has links to videos of lectures for all of the concepts we learn in our class, and also all of the lessons and materials we use are on the website, so that kids can learn in a flipped method if they want to, especially for those that go on trips/leave for long periods of time. However, I don't think any of them have taken advantage of it.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2015

Well, if there are better videos out there, just link to them on your website. (that's what I do) Saves you time, and why reinvent the wheel?

11. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 10, 2015

I'd like to use a somewhat flipped classroom model. Sometimes I feel like it's a waste of my time to give the same lecture 5 times in one day.

12. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jan 10, 2015

I do! Khan Academy has the best videos for my 1st graders!