Flip

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jday129, May 25, 2010.

1. jday129

jday129 Comrade

May 25, 2010

I just attended a workshop about using a Flip video camera in the classroom. We all got a flip and taught how to operate it (very simple). But there wasn't much about how teachers use flips to enhance student learning. I have a few ideas but I'd love to hear yours if you have any.

Thanks in advance.

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 25, 2010

You could take it with you to educational sites that they may not be able to go to. For example, our 4th graders learn about CA history so I might take the Flip with me to a mission, etc. and make a short film to bring back to class for my students to watch.

You could also use it to film your students reading, presenting, etc. so that they can see and hear themselves and make note of what to improve on later.

4. glen

glen Companion

May 25, 2010

I had my students research a renewable energy source then make a 5-7 minute info-mercial. I gave them guidelines of what had to be included, then they put their own creative touches to it.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2010

Have them do a book review and then post it on a wiki and others students can watch them to decide what books to read next...they can do the whole thing themselves in pairs like in the hallway when the others are doing silent reading

6. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

May 25, 2010

Flip video cams must be the new "thing" in classrooms, because this year all our teachers got one. I use mine to video students as they practice their speaking skills and to do reports. If you put the camera on a tripod, even 1st and 2nd graders can operate it themselves. We also use ours to make parent gifts, for example for Christmas, I filmed the students taking turns reading from "A Christmas Carol", then we sang carols. The DVDs made great Christmas gifts for parents. For special events, like our poi pounding, I also e-mailed the video to parents in a "greeting card". Next year, I want the kids to use the camera (on a tripod) as they conduct interviews. Flips are so easy to use.