Flip video camera ideas?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by RJN, Jan 9, 2011.

1. RJN

RJN Rookie

Jan 9, 2011

I recently won a $5000 technology grant for my Life Skills Support classroom and purchased 2 Flip video cameras, among other things. I am wondering if any of you are currently using them in your classrooms and what you are doing with them. I am looking for ideas.

I also purchased iPads and am looking for App. suggestions. I purchased an Xbox Kinect and can tell you it is awesome for my students! They had been using the Wii in PE class, but several of them couldn't use the controller. The Kinect has worked for everyone. If you have the funds, you may want to check it out.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

We use our flip camera to record our students acting. You may make a little video of running a cash register, ordering lunch, all other little procedures that your students do during the day.

4. bdsweetie

bdsweetie Rookie

Jan 9, 2011

Maybe the teachers could do mock scenarios to use to learn from and discuss what to do if this happens.

5. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Jan 9, 2011

I got a flipcam a little over a year ago and I LOVE it. I use it all the time. Amongst the things I've used it for:

1) Video modeling!!!!!

-I've made "instructional" videos starring people from around the school (teachers, nurse, custodians, principal, etc.) showing how to do things like get a drink from the fountain, greet people, go through the lunch line, play a new game, etc.

-I've made kid-specific "movies" by taking footage of the kids practicing a specific skill that they are unable to do without prompting, then edited out the prompts or errors (really easy to do using the cut/paste tool), then showing the kids the video of themselves performing the skill correctly just before they do it.

-taken video of field trips and community locations that we visit, etc. to show what a location looks like before the trip

-used it in my social skills group during role plays - then shown it back to the kids

-filmed the kids in my social skills group practicing things like playing games with each other - then shown it back with individual checklists for them to self-evaluate whether they demonstrated their "social thinking skills" we learned

-filmed some of my low kids when I "catch" them in various emotional states (happy, sleepy, mad, etc) and them shown them in conjunction with picture symbols to teach the meaning of the symbol on their PECS book

2) I film myself all the time teaching and then go back to take data on things I am too busy for at the moment. Also this is great to modeling teaching to new/inexperienced paras.

3) This year I filmed the kids during various parts of the day and then made a short video for each set of parents of their child to show at conferences.

So many possibilities! Congrats on your grant!!

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

Make your own video social stories!

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2011

bethechange mentioned most of the things I use them for...

I have an iPhone now and that pretty much took the place of the FLIP cameras, but until that point I was using them for most of the stuff already mentioned.

One of our big things is video portfolios. I video the kids doing a certain skill (or not doing!) and then video them once they have mastered it. I do use this in conferences, save it for "audits" (ha, I am always told they could "come audit us at any time" but don't really know who "they" are and why I haven't seen "them" in the five years I've taught), and also use it to show progress to the kids - they like seeing themselves!

I just made a DVD of all of our community trips to send home to the parents.

Also, I will send a DVD to different locations as a "Thank you" for allowing us to come. We went to a huge moon bounce center place that gave us a $150 discount and I put the Glee Version of "Jump" in the background of the video... burned a DVD, and all of the kids signed the top of the DVD and wrote "Thank you" on it. Great gift!

Video modeling is AWESOME. My kids respond so well to that.

8. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jan 11, 2011

We've used them to film commercials for a particular region in our state. My students made a travel brochure for one region and then wrote & filmed a commercial encouraging tourism to that region.