Flip Charts on Interactive Whiteboard

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Teachingtots, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Hi Everyone!

This will be my second year teaching kindergarten and I've spent the summer thinking about how I can improve from last year.

One of the things I want to start doing is calendar books each day. I saw this idea at the Growing Kinders blog. She has her kids follow along with her flip chart of the same calendar pages on the interactive whiteboard.

I'm not familiar with how to make flip charts, but I will have an interactive whiteboard this year. Can anyone fill me in on how to create flip charts? Also, has anyone tried calendar books or something similar with your kinders to get them all engaged during calendar time? Thanks!

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 17, 2011

I read about the calendar books but I don't really understand what the kids do. Do they write the numbers on the calendar each day for all the days or just one day? Why are the songs and stuff in there? I need more help with that idea!

4. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

The calendar books get every student to participate, rather than just calling on one student to give an answer. I think students add one number to the calendar each day. Basically, whatever you're doing (adding a tally mark, adding a number to the calendar, writing the date) the students also do in their calendar book so they're not just watching you.

I just bought this Calendar Notebook on the Teachers Pay Teachers website and the packet includes really explicit instructions about what to do for calendar each day and how to use the calendar notebooks with your kids. It was $20 but I thought it'd be easier than me trying to figure it out on my own!

5. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

On the Growing Kinders blog, she showed how she has the kids follow along during calendar on her Smartboard. That post is here, if you're interested in seeing it.

But I don't know how she made the flip charts for calendar on her smartboard. I totally want to do that, but I don't know how!

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 17, 2011

love it! It would be nice to have the slides already made! I wonder if they are on TpT?

7. srawolf

srawolf Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

If you have a Smart Board there are many calendar templates on Smart Exchange. I combined some of what I liked from the different ones as well as added my own pages.

I plan on making calendar books but I will have to make the pages for the kids so that they match what I chose to put into our calendar routine.

8. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

I've done calendar books as a math station after we do calendar together as a class when I taught full day. Are the kids distracted and off-task with the papers and supplies on the carpet during calendar?? Now that I teach 1/2 day I stopped doing it due to time, but really miss it and would love to find a way to squeeze it in :)

9. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

I have not yet tried calendar notebooks with my kids, so I don't know if they are going to be distracted by having the pages in front of them. My hope is that the books help them become more involved because I typically have kids who are not paying attention during calendar time.

My struggle now is to figure out how I want to do the calendar on my Smart Board...!