Flip books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by letsteach, Oct 23, 2011.

1. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

Does anyone know where I can download what I call a flip book. The type where when you flip the pages, the image appears to move. My daughter made one in Grade 3 of a whale breaching out of the water and I'd like to do one with my class - sea animal themed.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2011

Be ready for these to take a tremendous amount of time and be very tedious. I do these with my high schoolers when we get to persistence of vision and it takes them the better part of a 90 minute period to make one that's only 16 frames long. It is tricky to get the pages to flip smoothly without buying a small, bound book (though Post-it notes work well, but are expensive depending on the number of students you have.) Also, it's hard for many of them to really get how it is supposed to work. You can download videos of flip books from Youtube pretty easily.

4. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

I've watched a few videos on YouTube. I think I might have to unpick my daughter's book, place it onto A4 paper, then use Wipeout to erase her colouring and go over the lines of the pictures. I was wanting to avoid doing this - just looking for an easy way out as it was taking me ages to find something on the internet and I came up empty handed.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2011

I'm not understanding your process at all. It seems like it would be much more simple to just make your own, especially if you want there to be one for the whole class. I don't think I'm understanding what you're trying to accomplish here, but if you'll explain better I'll try to give suggestions.

Do you want each student to make a flip book, or do you want one for the whole class?

Are you going to make the book in advance, or have the students help, or make it in front of them?

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

I would like every student to make a book. The book my daughter made is approximately 1 1/2 inches by 2 or 2 1/2 inches.

I thought the pages on the book just had to be cut out, placed in order and stapled together. Hey presto a flip book or have I been getting my wires crossed as to what a flip book is?

7. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

I would make the book in front of them, I always model an activity and they would take it home. They love to take things they've made home.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 24, 2011

It was very difficult for my high school students to cut the paper evenly and staple it so that the pages flip evenly. It took some of my students several tries to get ones that worked. If the pages don't flip smoothly then you lose the persistence of vision effect that gives the illusion of motion. Are your students drawing the pictures, or just coloring them in? I'm still not sure I'm understanding the purpose of the activity. My high school students did this activity in a film studies course where the objective was to explore/demonstrate persistence of vision and optical effects. I'm not saying not to do this, I just worry that the hassle may not be worth the academic value for your class.