Flex days?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gpsysngbrd, Jul 29, 2012.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jul 29, 2012

Tomorrow I start my new job as a Kindergarten teacher! School starts August 13th but I have meetings and orientations and what not for the next two weeks. The next 3 days are listed at Flex Days but I was told I should be there tomorrow for curriculum planning with my team. Anyone know what "Flex Days" mean???

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I know a district I interviewed with had flex days. It meant that if you had all your required PD done for the year (I forget how many hours) then it was just a day you could take off. Otherwise you had to go do some PD that the district offered or a pre-approved other option.

4. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jul 29, 2012

Hmmm thanks dgpiaffeteach. So I wonder if all grade levels will be there tomorrow or just Kindergarten - and if all the Kindergarten teachers will be there....I guess Ill find out in 12 hours. SO NERVOUS!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

Get there early...stay at least as long as most teachers on your grade level...you DON'T want to be the last to arrive or the first to leave...:2cents:

6. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Jul 29, 2012

A benefit of living 15 minutes from work. I can stay for a while and STILL get home at a decent time! That was one of my concerns when I was job hunting!

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Talk to your principal or district office. We have a flex day each year. Basically it is where you are doing something out of your own time like chaperone the school dance , work football game, work back to school schedule pick up. Those things earn you flextime. So let's so I chaperone a dance and I am there for 2 hours, I earn 2 hours of flex time. My district even gives us flex time for open house night. Before the flex day by a certain time we have to submit our hours which have to accumulate to 7 hours and we get that flex day off. If you don't accumulate those hours you have to work that day. It's usually not an issue to accumulate the time. I typically go way over 7 hours with out putting in a lot of effort.

Now I'm not sure how it will work to your school having the flex it e at the beginning of the year. Talk to your P or mentor.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

In our district, "flex" days mean that you do 18 hours of PD in the summer and you get 3 PD days off during the school year. It's very nice!

9. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

We earn “flex time” by working approved extra things after typical work hours or during the summer, for example helping with a parent night or screening incoming students during the summer. Flex days are the days we are able to take off if have earned the flex time. If you have earned 2 hours of flex time you can come in two hours late or leave 2 hours early-If you a day’s worth of time you don’t need to go into work that day. It can be very helpful and it is nice to have a little flexibility if you need it.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2012

In some districts around here, flex days are extra instructional days for students who have failed state assessments.

Obviously, this wouldn't be what yours are.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

'Flex' does not necessarily mean a day that you get to stay home or work on your home. Our flex days are designed for the building administration to work with us on different projects. I think that you shouldn't assume anything - ask how these are handled in your district.