fleas on cat...ugh

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jun 22, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

I just adopted 2 cats from the shelter...kittens...

the girl has coccidia, fleas, and tape worms...YUCK! They applied promeris to her and the other one...i've never heard of this flea prevention, and my vet clinic doesn't know much about it...of course...
    i called the shelter and they said it would take a few days for it to work...i can't live in the same house with fleas! omg...i don't want to sleep because i'm so paranoid they are spreading all over the house!

i know about the borax in the carpet...as i did it a few years ago with a kitten i had before...

the stuff they put on them was a liquid like frontline...so i can't even wash them to get some of the eggs off...ugh ugh ugh

is it safe to have the cats in the house?? the other kitten a few years ago had a pill, and i washed her that night...

help....i hate living with fleas...

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2009

Can you confine them to one room to wait the few days? Can you comb them with a flea comb? If you can do that, in combination with the borax, assuming the stuff works, that might help. I never use chemicals on kittens. I've always just used the flea comb (obsessively), and made sure my house was properly cleaned and treated (obsessively clean as well, but that's just me). It's always been just fine.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

I'm using the flea comb too...and getting scratched while doing so...got a few off. I hate them! Oh...just saw the male kitten with tapeworms...ewwwwwww!!! They were apparently dewormed today. I can't put them together because the girl is the only one with coccidia. I was told to keep them seperated :(
    nasty nasty nasty

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

yuck. My cat somehow got fleas last summer, even though he never leaves the house. What a mess! No sign of them this year! Knock on wood.

I would keep them confined too, or you will have fleas all over the house.

My upstairs neighbor worked on the formula for Frontline at Dupont, so he told me quite a bit about fleas. lol. Nasty creatures.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2009

Apparently the shelter here is horrible. My sister's dogs got out and were found several miles away. The woman that found them called animal control instead of the number on the tags (since the number was a CA number), though she did apparently write it down. Anyway, after some time, she decided to call my sister and tell her that the dogs had been picked up by animal control and were at the shelter. When my sister got there, the dogs were kenneled with new names, despite both having tags with their names on them AND my sister's phone number. The shelter never even attempted to look at the tags, or scan them for the microchips which they both have. They treated collared and tagged dogs as if they were homeless strays without even the slightest attempt to find the owner. On top of that, they weren't going to release the dogs since my sister didn't have proof that they were both fixed. Ummmm, just take a peek between the boy dogs legs...that should be proof enough, and what my sister DID have was the adoption papers from the shelter in CA where they got the dogs, but since it wasn't a vet record, it wasn't good enough. Ummmmm, do you know of ANY shelter in this country that releases dogs that haven't been neutered????? Ugh, sorry for the hijack.

Good luck with the kitties.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 23, 2009

Yuck, mm

well...ended up taking them to my vet...cost me more...but I can sleep better...
    They are getting different meds for worms...those are so gross! The boy kitten won't use litterbox...used towel...yuck

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 23, 2009

Hopefully the fleas will be gone soon. Maybe the boy kitten isn't using the litter box b/c of the type of litter, what did they use at the shelter? Cats can be so picky...
    I use Revolution for the flea and worm control on my Cat, so far so good.
    Good luck with the kitties!

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

:mad: