Fleas... again

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Jul 6, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2014

Last fall I posted about my mom's dog getting fleas from the groomer and tips on how to get rid of them. Well, it has happened again. And my cat has them :mad: :( She was given Frontline about a week ago and I still saw one on her today. Vacuuming has been going on daily, thing have been sprayed, linens washed, etc...

My question is- has anyone gotten a cat flea dipped before? I know it is not good for their skin, but I will be moving in about 3 weeks and I don't want to bring the fleas with us. I was thinking about getting her dipped before taking her to my new apartment. A traumatizing day, I know. But I don't want the problem to persist.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2014

Dip away! Not only have I had a cat dipped, but I have also been the one to perform said task. The dip does work, but be warned - cats don't like it. I have the bite mark and the tetanus shot to prove it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2014

I would never attempt to dip her myself. I can't even brush her without walking away bleeding after about two minutes.

I just don't want to keep battling this since I am moving and will have a fresh start. No since in bringing the problem with us!!!

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

I'm so sorry to hear about your pet. :( Fleas are almost as much of a nuisance to people are they are animals because even though they don't live on the human body, they will bite us repeatedly.

I'm curious what your groomer has to say about this? Do they consider it an occupational hazard and not take responsibility? It's bugging me because I've used a variety of groomers (Petsmart, small independent groomers and even a mobile groomer who did her work in a van outside our house) and our dog never got fleas.

If the company isn't taking responsibility, I'd be tempted to report them to the Better Business Bureau because that is NOT cool.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2014

There is a pill called Cap Star that will kill fleas immediately. You can see them jump off, so do it in the bathtub or something. It is a short term solution, so you have to continue with Frontline (or Comfortis, another brand) regularly. Brewer's Yeast tablets, crushed up, in their food is supposed to help, too.

I, personally, wouldn't dip my cat, nor would I use a flea collar. I tried sprinkling Borax over the edges of my carpets and all that did was break my vacuum cleaner.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2014

Since it is my mom's dog, I don't deal with the groomer. I know she called them and was waiting for the owner to call her back. I'm not sure if the owner has called yet or not. I told her after the last time that this happened to find another groomer, but she didn't listen!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2014

Thanks! I will look into this.

I don't want to dip her, but since we are moving, I don't want to bring the fleas with us, either.

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2014

Look into tryfexis...it is a pill too. Heartworm/flea med combo that doesn't just make fleas jump off but kills them! That way, they won't jump off into home.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 7, 2014

Comfortis works well. My babies are on that.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2014

My dog had flea problems forever and since I'm not huge on chemicals I looked into natural stuff. I read about diatomaceous earth, food grade. You can sprinkle it on your pet, around your house, and even feed it to your pet! (You can eat it too if you want!) It supposedly works wonders against fleas and ticks (and any other insects you have crawling around your house- cockroaches, etc). I never used it because I couldn't find food grade in CR, but if you can find it near you I'd give it a try. Flea dips just seem so bad for a kitty! :(

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2014

When we got our cat he was a tiny little kitten with a lot of fleas. The vet said he was too young for any chemical treatments, and told us to give him a bath to loosen the fleas and pull them off with tweezers. You have to do that several times over a few weeks though because the eggs will hatch and you'll have more! We never had a problem after those first two weeks though. (Unfortunately, I was covered in flea bites for my wedding, since we got the cat the week before)

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2014

Some people swear by Dawn dish detergent for the bath.