Flatter tummy?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2011

Any info from the more fitness savy would be a wonderful, wonderful help! I have lost about 20 lbs since the beginning of the school year. But I have 15 more pounds to go. My problem is that while I've been dieting (except for this past stressful week) my tummy isn't getting flatter because I don't have time to fit exercise into my schedule. How do ya'll fit it in to your schedule? I get up about 5:00 each morning, leave by 5:30, commute an hour or so to work. Then I'm at work from about 6:30ish to 5:00ish because I've volunteered to do lots of after school stuff. Most of these commitments are about to end but as of right now I'm out of time to be able to do anything at any time since I don't get home until about 6:00 and have my two kids and husband to pay attention to until the kids bedtime at around 8:00. Any advice on what I can do now that my schedule is about to start to change?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2011

Well, this will probably sound "textbook", but while you've been very kind to volunteer for so many extra responsibilities, you simply must allow time for yourself. :) Easier said than done, I know, especially when you have children. Do you watch any television while the children are in bed? Perhaps you could bring a few items into the living room (where they'll be visible and a constant reminder) and incorporate a bit slowly. An exercise ball, some free weights...doesn't have to be anything major. Heck, with just a mat you can do a lot! Good luck!

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2011

I'm single so I have time to workout afterschool-but when I was younger my mom (teacher) used to lock her door during her planning and excercise in her room, or walk around the track or even around the building if the weather was nice. You'll have mor energy to excercise during the day, and then you can do things like grading or planning at night after the kids go to bed when you have time but are too tired to excercise. Also, you could try just getting in 10 minutes at various times throughout the day. Get up just 10 minutes earlier and do some excercise. Fit in 10 minutes during planning or lunch at school. 10 minutes right when you get home or when the kids go to bed and you're getting 30 minutes in daily :) It's better than nothing!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 6, 2011

I wake up at 4:30 and work out. I've lost 27 pounds since Jan. 1, but I'm also still not losing stomach weight. It's usually that last to go, no matter how much weight I lose. Exercises to "flatten your tummy" build muscle there, so unless you are also doing cardio to help burn fat your stomach may actually look bigger. I've always had a belly, since I was in 5th grade. It's just where I carry all of my weight.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

Getting in tummy exercises are easy, though - Just contract your muscles while you walk around.

Carbs go right to your belly, so concentrate on cutting out processed carbs and white flour and sugar.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2011

Thanks for the info! I love bread and stuff so I'll definitely work on cutting that out some. My bad one is the sugar :( That tends to be what's around at school so I eat it when I'm stressed :( I definitely need to work on will power. Next year I'm not going to do nearly as much after school, but this year all that money is going to go to a trip for my DH and I to go to D.C. We didn't have a honeymoon (mid-school year wedding and a 10 month old stopped us). Plus my husband has NEVER been on a vacation. So I'm going to give him one :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

teaching-n-2~I'm trying to flatten my tummy as well. I go to the gym directly after school and work out for about an hour every day. I do abs 3x a week, cardio 3x a week, and weight lifting 2x a week. Stomach fat is the last thing to go unfortunately.

9. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Apr 6, 2011

Just like silverspoon said...cut out the sugar and bread and you'll notice a big difference. Also, muscle burns fat, not cardio. Cardio burns calories and boosts your metabolism. Cardio is awesome but you've got to through some strength and muscle building exercises in too. I said on a different post that I love TurboJam. It comes with 20 - 45min workouts and it includes cardio, weights and kickboxing. Its fantastic and it always cuts inches off. Maybe you can get up 20 minutes earlier and start off slow. Also Zumba is a really good cardio program too.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2011

I've been doing the Self videos on Netflix. I really enjoy those videos as each workout hits more than one area. I used to go to the gym, but I think doing freeweights and targeting more than one muscle at a time is much better for you than those machines. I, too, have been having trouble losing the fat on my tummy. This has been a struggle since I was 14. I'm super skinny except for the flabby, bulging stomach and it's really starting to get annoying. Although, I have noticed the sides my my abs starting to become more firm. So, I guess with time and effort and sticking to a consistent routine, it'll eventually, slowly, become flatter and firmer.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 6, 2011

I was mostly trying to say that just working your abs doesn't really do anything for you. You don't burn enough calories just doing some crunches everyday to really make difference in your midsection. You also need to burn some calories doing cardio in order to lose weight.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 6, 2011

Can you put your reading on the floor and do a few plank reps while you're there?

I also advocate taking a little time for yourself. My exercise is mostly packed into two nights of tae kwon do classes. It's a mental relief to be the student for a couple of hours a week.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

I have a Pilates DVD I like. All you need is a little floor space. And walking... even 20 minutes a night really helps out. There's no specific exercise that will make you lose weight in your tummy. All those crunches just make your abs really nice underneath all of the fat. Like everyone has said, belly fat is the last to go (yet somehow, on me at least, always the first on).

I'm back on the weight-loss train in 2.5 weeks... as soon as these two ESL classes finish up.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2011

Planks, pilates, and hardcore cardio.

Too many people try and do a whole workout of abs. I teach a cardio class that burns about 700 calories an hour - we do about 5 minutes of planks and pushups in the middle, and 5 minutes of abs at the end.

That has done way more for my belly than anything else I've ever tried. I've had a little curve since my surgery a few years ago, and the intense cardio/ lots of planks combo has finally gotten rid of it!

15. smalltowngal

Apr 7, 2011

Danny'sNanny~that's what Turbo Jam does...We burn about 800 and then do 5 minutes of abs at the very end.

16. RyanS

RyanS Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

I second everyone else that has recommended cutting carbs. You can spend hours a day working out, but that won't do a thing in the world if your diet isn't right. I was very overweight in high school. I spent an entire year on the Atkins diet and supplemented it with rigorous weight training and cardio. I lost 90 pounds and have kept it off ever since by eating reasonably and maintaining a weight training routine. After the holiday season I will normally go back on Atkins for a month or so just to trim off the extra Christmas pounds.

Low-carb diets are so much easier now than when I was in high school. You can find low-carb anything in most stores and there are hundreds of delicious recipes online. If you try low carb for 2 months, you will lose those 15 pounds easily!

17. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 7, 2011

Please don't be offended, but it's very highly unlikely that you're burning 700-800 calories in your class. What exactly are you doing in these classes?

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

It depends on the weight and fitness level of the people in the class, but I will say that I burn about 200 calories doing aerobics for an hour. If I could find a class that would let me burn 700-800 calories in an hour, I'm not sure I could survive it!

19. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 7, 2011

I've been an instructor for a VERY long time and teach every type of class-the most calories anyone burns in a one hour class is really no more than 500 calories. A lot of monitors, etc. . .can read higher than that, but that's because many people don't know their actual heart rates.

20. smalltowngal

Apr 7, 2011

I used my monitor and I checked it before we started working out to get my resting heart rate. We do a lot of moving around!!