Flat Stanley

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 22, 2007

I read something about a Flat Stanley project on another post... which reminded me that I always wanted to do this! I've seen a lot of Flat Stanley projects all over the place, all different variations of the idea. I'm just wondering how you do it, so I could figure out how I could make it work in my class. This is in a first grade class. I think it would be a fun thing to start, maybe after spring break. Thanks.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 22, 2007

I only did this one year but it was so fun. (first grade) First I read the book to them to get them excited about the story. Then I made a copy of a flat Stanley and we colored it in class. Then I sent a note home about the project, asking parents to send in an address of someone in another part of the country who they thought would follow through on the project. We did all the correspondence as a class. I typed up a letter from Flat Stanley which mentioned his friend, the student. The students addressed their own envelopes, which I provided. I put a 3 week time frame in the letter, so everyone would have 3 weeks to get the letter, do something with him, and then mail the letter back. I sent envelopes that the kids addressed to themselves at our school address. This way, everything came back to the school instead of their home first, where it could get lost. Actually, a few parents side stepped this and called the person and asked for the Flat Stanley to be sent to them instead. Go figure.

Our Flat Stanleys arrived over about a 10 day period. As soon as one arrived, we dropped everything and sat down and opened the mail. It was a blast! Of course, people send all kinds of things and it was so interesting for the kids. I put a large U.S. map on our hallway bulletin board. I used yarn to connect the place the Flat Stanley had visited, then connected the place to the items that had been sent with Flat Stanley. It was such a fun bulletin board, my principal repeatedly came out of his office and found me in the hallway staring at the bulletin board like a freak! (his office is across the hall from my room.:) It was really a pretty simple project with lots of pay off for a small amount of work. Yeah! I would love to hear what other people have done. Just be sure to start the project with a lot of time to get it all done so you are not rushed at the end of the year.

4. Kathy9

Kathy9 Rookie

Feb 22, 2007

We had a similar Flat Stanley Project in my First Grade Classroom. We read the book, mailed a template to a friend/relative in another place, and then had them send Stanley back to us to tell about his adventures while he was visiting. It was tons of fun and the kids really learned a lot about other cities/states and even other countries! Here is a link to my Flat Stanley Webpage: http://www.mylearningtrain.com/projects/flatstanley/flatstanley.htm
    Hope this helps!

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007

Can you all tell me more about Flat Stanley??? I would love to do something like this for letter writing practice and social studies/geography studies. I just want to know how do you get started? Do you have to contact the website? How does the project work as far as what are the kids supposed to do with him?:thanks:

6. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Feb 22, 2007

I, too, did this in my 1st grade classroom one year. I registered on the "official" website and got hooked up to numerous classrooms. One of our Stanleys even went to England!! We had so much fun, and I felt it was so beneficial to their learning. Here's the website I used: http://flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 23, 2007

Our project was kind of spontaneous. I had the kids mail Flat Stanley to a friend or relative in another place. I haven't been to the website in a few years but that would be a great place to start!

I got the idea from a friend in my town who received her Flat Stanley from a niece. My daughter received Flat Stanley from her cousin around Christmas. We took him to get his picture taken with Santa. Good times!

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 23, 2007

I did this when I did my student teaching. Basically the kids make a Flat Stanley, and we mail it out with a letter. The folks who get is are asked to pass it on, preferably to someone in a different state. Whenever someone got him, they would usually send a letter, photos, maybe something about where they are from. The kids were ECSTATIC to get letters. It was pretty simple really.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2007

My daughter and I did this just a short time ago. We made a crab- Jessica Crab- since we are from Maryland. Ever read Chadwick the Crab?

We made maybe 10 paper crabs and mailed them to other homeschooling families at www.homeschoolspot.com . Those families kept the crab about a few weeks and took it to special places in their city, or took pictures of it with their family. I got splendid pictures and stories, postcards, and momentos from so many fabulous places.

10. briannasoloski

briannasoloski Rookie

Feb 25, 2007

Lots of good ideas here. We'll only have a short time frame to do this, so I'm commissioning a few friends to help me and we'll do Flat Stanley as a class.

11. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2007

I'm glad you said that it was a simple project. I would love to do this but I thought that it might be a project that I might not have time for as a new teacher. Very interesting.....

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2007

What I did differently was, I made a crab for each family and they sent them back. I then sent them to the next group of families waiting for it. I didn't want our crabs getting put aside or somehow not make it back. At the same time I did, the other families at HSS started a project more like how it's been mentioned here, and all those flat projects disappeared once they reached the person who was to send them on.

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2007

I was able to fill a large photo album with all we got back. We took it to her evaluation in January.

14. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Feb 25, 2007

To avoid getting them lost, we sent one Stanley to each place and asked them to return them (instead of asking them to pass them along). I sent a letter explaining what to do and a blank "journal" for the other students to fill in. On the website I recommended earlier, you email the teacher to see if they're interested. Most of the time, I received a Stanley from them, too, for my students.

The initial project takes one afternoon. We read the book over a few days, then I had my students break into groups of 1, 2, or 3 and design a Stanley (I gave each group a paper doll to design and opened up the art supplies). They loved it, and most turned out cute! I then hooked up with that many classrooms through the website.

Then, you just wait! As we got them back, we'd open the packages and see what was inside. It was so exciting!! I usually checked my box during lunch so it was a great wind-down activity after lunch recess.

I simply used the map already provided in my room to mark where our Stanleys had been. It's a really easy, meaningful project!! (one you could definitely do as a first year teacher)

For those Stanleys we received from other states and countries, I would simply rotate them through the students. We took pictures of the kids with Stanley with the digital camera and ran them off in the lab (easy). I then went to the store and got some "artifacts" from our state to send back with each one (I got the same thing for each Stanley). I also typed up a little letter about our state that was sent back with him. The kids did their journaling during some down time during the day. It really didn't take too much time for this portion either. If it's too much for you though, you could easily opt out and not have any sent to your classroom--just send yours out.

Good luck! And have FUN!!

15. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2007

I am also using the official website for my Flat Stanleys. We've gotten them back from Canada, England, and now Bermuda! We still sent two others out to Scotland and New Zealand as well as many states in the country. It has been a lot of fun. We've even been able to host some Flat Stanleys.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 11, 2007

I finally decided what I am going to do! Tomorrow I am going to have the kids make Flat versions of themselves, and I'll give them to a second grade class. The second graders will write letters from each Flat Person's perspective what it's like in second grade, and send them back to our classroom. I think it will be fun!

17. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Apr 12, 2007

miss kirby--

great idea! i hope it works out well for you!

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 12, 2007

I love seeing your kiddos' Flat Stanleys! And your class website is wonderful!!! :)

19. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Apr 12, 2007

We did Flat Stanley a little differently. We made Stanleys (or Saras) and then the children took Stanley with them on spring vacation. They took a picture of themselves with Stanley and wrote a little journal about what they did with him. When they came back from vacation we did a bulletin board with a world map and all the Stanleys and stories around it with yarn to mark all the places he visited. I love Flat Stanley...anyway you do it, it is a great project.

20. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Apr 12, 2007

I did this when I was home schooling. We used the official site but also mailed one to J.K. Rowling, and to the us olympic hockey and figure skating teams. My kids are now 13 & 14 and still have the souvenirs that were sent. J.K. Rowling sent back a letter and postcards of the Harry Potter Books. She even hinted at things to come in the books. The Women's US Hockey team took pics with stanley and sent him home with ALOT of souvenirs from his time at the olympics. But our Favorite letter came from US figure skater Michael wise who wrote not only about his skating but about how Stanley ate macaroni and cheese with his kids. This project can really give students wonderful memories.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 12, 2007

Really awesome ideas!

So my kids made really cute flat people today. Then I had a sub in the afternoon because I had a meeting. When I came back to teach my after-school reading class, the kids said that the sub told them to take their flat people home! So 11 of the kids took them home. I am SOOOO bummed. I think I'm going to make a MISSING poster and see if any of the kids bring them back. I had it set up with a second grade teacher and everything. :(