Flat Stanley in K?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SwOcean Gal, Sep 8, 2009.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

I was thinking about getting the book. I vaguely know about Flat Stanley, but do you think it is okay for K? Would you use it in your Kindergarten? Maybe a read aloud during down time? The scholastic magazine says 2-4, so I am hedging. what do you think?

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2009

It would be okay in K, but I think it really appeals to older kids. Personally, I used it in third grade and we did a ton of projects with it to incorporate writing and geography- I would read it first before you buy it for your class. I'm sure the library has a copy, or someone else at your school.

4. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Sep 8, 2009

When I student taught in Kindergarten, we used Flat Stanley during our careers unit. We sent a Stanley home with every student, asked them to decorate it, and it followed a parent around for a day or so. We also asked for the parents to write a little about what Stanley did with them. We got some great stories back and even some pictures!
    I have also heard of teachers sending Flat Stanleys home and asking for them to be sent to family and friends far away and then set back with something small written about the area and maybe even pictures.

5. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I"ve been wondering about flat stanley in K - I did work at a school where they did it in K and sent a laminated stanley along with a journal home to be sent to relatives/friends all over the world or just in another neighbourhood. The kids loved it and they saw on a map where he had been and read about his adventures. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try it in my own K class this year though.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2009

I would check with the other grade levels to make sure they don't already use Flat Stanley. It is a 4th grade project type of deal at my school.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2009

When my daughter was in K she was introduced to Flat Stanley. Just the name will make the kids giggle! :)

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 10, 2009

Oh yeah, I would always preview! I love to read kids books anyhow! I am not yet in a classroom- this is my last year- student teaching in the spring! My college does the scholastic book orders for us, so I was thinking about it. Thanks for your input! Even if it is revisited in another grade- no harm in a simple preview! I think I will get it! I have heard so many great ideas about it, mostly for older- some are appropriate for K, but it can be changed anyhow! Thanks!

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009

When I taught kinder we used it for a spring break activity. We sent home a Flat Stanly and a journal. They had to write at least two sentences for each day, even if all they did was play video games all day. Some sent pictures back. I had a chance to visit someplace cold and snowey that spring break so my kids enjoyed seeing snow. (we lived in S. Texas then not much snow) The kids were amazed at the ice fishermen.
    This year I am going to use it a little differnent. I am teaching first grade in a different town. I am sending Flat in the mail to another classroom and school. So if anyone wants to join me. I have two from New York and there will be at least two from Texas.

10. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

Flat Stanley

I have used Flat Stanley in my K class for years and the kids love it! I read part of it to them each day as a read aloud at the end of the day. Then when we are finished, they each decorate their own Stanley and the families send them to relatives elsewhere in the world. The rule it that it has to be sent to someone out of our city. I teach in an International School so we have had Stanley sent to Japan, Italy, France, US, and Canada all in the same year.
    We have had movies, books, or just pictures with captions sent back. I ask everyone to just do it as best they can.
    The kids love getting all the Stanleys back and sharing.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 11, 2009

Oh that is great! It is good to hear it being done in K and so successfully too! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

12. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 12, 2009

Sounds like fun! Maybe I need to start thinking about this. Hmmmm

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2009

I have used it in the past. But a first grade teacher does a whole unit on it. So I don't read it any more.

14. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 12, 2009

Jamie, what did you do when you used it?