Flat Stanley - how do you do it

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KLSSwimmer, Jun 24, 2009.

1. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 24, 2009

Hello all!

I have been thinking a lot about Flat Stanley. Have any of you done this before? How does it work? Can anyone give me a dummy's guide to how to do this project? I think I would love to participate this project, but I don't have a clue how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any documents they would be willing to share to help me get started, it would be awesome!

3. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 24, 2009

When I was homeschooling I used the following website. You can register on it and find places to send Stanley. http://www.flatstanleyproject.net/

It also gives you ideas.

My kids LOVED it. We sent our Stanleys to the women's and mens figure skating teams as well as the hockey teams(it was an olympic year), we also sent one to J.K. Rowling. We got answers back from the women's hockey team complete with pictures and all kinds of gifts. They even sent a couple of hockey pucks that the team used. One of the men's figure skaters wrote back telling about all he was doing and how Stanley helped with his outfit and that Stanley ate dinner with his kids. J.K. Rowling wrote and sent postcards of the next Harry Potter book which was coming out soon.

We got Flat Stanley's from around the world and had a great time taking them around the Monterey Bay, CA area where we lived at the time.

Have fun with it, it is a blast!!!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2009

One method I have used when I taught regular 4th grade is to read the book to the class (It is a relatively short book). Then we decorate a copy of Flat Stanley. (If you google FS you can find a template. Then I send the FS home with the students with a note for the family to take it on trips, send it to relatives and friends, etc. The letter asks that pictures of FS and his travels be sent back to the class for a FS bulletin board. That year one of our Stanleys went on an around the world cruise with relatives of one of the students. We regularly received pics from the different ports and of activities on board.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 24, 2009

Yarnwoman - so did you send one Stanley or did you send different Stanleys to each place?

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 24, 2009

Beckysue - So did your kids just get responses from their Stanleys or did the responses come to the entire class?

7. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

I did Flat Stanley one year and it was so much fun. After reading the book I hung a huge map of the US on the wall. We put push pins and yarn from where we lived to each place Stanley went. Each student decorated a cardstock cut out of Stanley. They all brought in an envelope addressed to a friend or family member. Make sure you do it a good two months before school lets out because they trickled back in for several weeks. Also if there is a student who you know won't get theirs back get him/her to send it to one of your friends or relatives. I wish I had done this.

Have fun!

8. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

Anyone willing to share the letters they send home with Flat Stanley?

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 24, 2009

Ooooo good ideas!

Yes Miss R - I would love to see other people's letters!

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 24, 2009

KLSSwimmer - we sent several different Stanley's out.

We even sent some to other homeschoolers around the world and hosted their Stanley's.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2009

This is how my mentor teacher did it when I was student teaching.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

I love Flat Stanley and your kids will too.

I have my kids make Flat Sarahs or Flat Hermans which resemble how they look. We've done full body size ones using bulletin board paper and we've done 8 inch ones.

I always have my kids make three Stanleys. We send one to a family member, one to a school (from the Stanley web site) and one to a celebrity. You can find celebrity addresses on-line.

This year the Nascar racers were very generous as well as Tiger Woods, Bill Cosby, the governor of our state, etc. Most singers/celebs have publicists who make sure fans are recognized. We sent one to Obama, but never received anything back.

13. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

Hoot Owl - thanks for the response. I really like the idea of sending out three Stanleys.

Everyone - Did you just put the postage up yourself? I teach in a high poverty school and I just don't know if the parents would be able to send in, or if they would be willing to send, the postage.

14. Mrs.Ward

Mrs.Ward Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

When I did Flat Stanley in my student teaching, the school actually mailed them out/paid the postage because of the high poverty. I loved the project, as did the kids. Some of my students were so excited because they had never received anything in the mail before.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

I would love to do Flat Stanley, if my school will pay the postage or if the parents will help. I'll have to do some checking once school starts back.

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

Hoot Owl- sending a Flat Stanley to a celebrity is a neat idea!

Jeannie and I participated in a Flat Stanley-ish activity with other homeschoolers at www.homeschoolspot.com .

She and I made crabs out of paper plates, since we're from Maryland. We asked the families to take the crab- Jeannie named her Jessica!-around their town, take pictures of her, and give us some details about their area. We got so many good things back! We sent out 8 different crabs, and some made two trips. We got back oodles of pictures, with some great landmarks in them. We learned interesting things about different areas of the country. We got to put a face on the families that were helping us. The project really impressed Jeannie's evaluator that year.

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009

I could be mistaken, but I believe I even enclosed a self addressed, stamped envelope to be sure we got things back.