Flat Gingerbread Man Exchange

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Sep 27, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 27, 2009

Flat Gingerbread Man Exchange - Need CA and NY!

I'm looking for 30 classrooms to participate in our Flat Gingerbread Man Exchange this year! Each class will make 30 flat gingerbread men, decorated to tell about the area or state you live in, as well as a letter to tell a little about your town and state. In mid-November, those 30 flat gingerbread men your class made will get mailed to a participating classroom in 30 different states. Your classroom will also receive 30 flat gingerbread men from various states. This project will help your students learn basic research skills, reading, writing, geography, map skills, and history. It would also tie in nicely with a gingerbread literature unit!

Here is a link to a similar project done at another school:
    http://www.geocities.com/ljacoby_2000/flatginger.html

To get this underway, please PM me with:
    Your name
    Grade level
    Your school name
    School address
    Your email address

You can also reply to the thread with your state name so others will know if their state has been taken.

WE STILL NEED THE FOLLOWING STATES:
    Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Montana
    Nebraska
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Rhode Island
    South Dakota
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wyoming

I would like to finalize our list of participants tomorrow, so I can get the email out with necessary information next week! If you can participate, please let me know ASAP.

I will also provide you via email with a list of the other addresses, formatted for printing on address labels, to make the process even easier.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to hearing from many of you! :cool:

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2009

what a cute idea; my state is taken, so I wish you all well! :)

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 28, 2009

Mine too :(. I think I need to move to a smaller state-Texas is always taken.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

I still have not received confirmation from the following states:

California
    Florida
    Kentucky
    Massachusetts

If those teachers don't confirm, I will need new classrooms from those states. If you are interested in being on the waiting list and you're in those states, please let me know! PM me with:
    Name
    Grade
    School address
    Email

Thanks!

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Sep 28, 2009

I'm still trying to understand how this works...The class makes 30 gingerbread boys/girls (some students make two if you have less students?), the teacher chooses 30 states out of the 50, once they are finished the child chooses which state their gingerbread they want their gingerbread boy/girl to go....at the same time they will receive gingerbread boys/girls from the 30 states that have agreed to participate..Do the students know when they're gingerboy/girl arrives? How do you pay for postage and everything?

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 29, 2009

I'll try to explain. My goal is to actually have 31 states (30 other states plus my own classroom). Each child makes a gingerbread, and perhaps an extra depending on class size. We'll have a list of states participating (right now it's closer to 20, so the total number of gingerbreads needed will be adjusted - the total number of classes participating minus one because you won't send to your own class). A gingerbread made by the child that represents the state, along with a letter that explains the symbols (I teach first, so we'll do shared writing, then I'll type and photocopy the letter) will be sent to each classroom on the list. At the same time, the other classrooms are sending out gingerbreads. So if you send out 20 gingerbreads, you should also receive 20.

As for paying for postage, it's not too much - we'll be using the regular long envelopes that require a regular stamp. So there'll be less than 30 stamps needed. I've had parents donate stamps and envelopes in the past, no problem (and I teach in a school that is 100% free-and-reduced lunch).

I hope that explains things! If you see the link in my original post, you can read about it from another classroom who did the same thing.

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 29, 2009

I haven't hear from my CALIFORNIA or NEW YORK people, so I'm looking for new people for those states! Please PM me if you're willing with:

Your name
    Grade
    School name and address
    Email

Thanks!

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2009

I am in NY, if that state is available I would be interested. Plaease let me know.

10. homeswap

homeswap New Member

Oct 18, 2009

i am in georgia , is it still available I am interested