Flashing Alarms--Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by cutNglue, Jun 29, 2013.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 29, 2013

What can you tell me about visual alarms for the deaf being triggers for seizures? I'm currently seeing a lot of anecdotal articles saying it is a problem but I'm not finding alarm systems that have more than 1hz per second flash rate which according to the epilepsy foundation is below the problematic rate. At the same time, I also need to know more about how brightness might affect issues. I'm trying to see what types of equipment would work in an office that will serve both. (Technically all places should have a design that works for both).

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2013

I worked at a special ed school and we had both kids with epilepsy and a deaf child. I never saw a child have a seizure when the fire alarm flashed, and I had one student who had them almost constantly.

That's not to say it wouldn't happen. Can you contact the Epilepsy Foundation? It's a very good question.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2013

I had a student with epilepsy and I was responsible for making sure she was shielded from the lights during drills or emergencies. A couple of field trip locations had to turn off their strobe lights and effects.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 29, 2013

This is a relatively small office area (multiple rooms). The deaf office, however, is going to need several different light alerts. That might be problematic enough without adding the very obvious and out in the open strobe fire alarms. I'm just trying to educate myself. The other part of the equation is making sure the daily stuff doesn't cause sensory issues for some that come in the office (Autism among other issues).

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

It all depends on if they are photosensitive or not.

If they are, then it is usually 5-30 flashes a second to induce a seizure for PSEs.

1 hz would be fine