Flashcard Systems

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by tiki7719, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I plan on starting to study for my Praxis II for social studies in September. That is when I will be done with my college classes. I want to take my Praxis in February.

I was looking at different preparation guides and I came across these:

http://www.flashcardsecrets.com/praxisii/

Anyone use these or know anybody that has?

I'm TERRIFIED about taking the Praxis for history; mainly because its been awhile since I looked as some of the material and it seems like we did not cover necessary information in college.

I will also be picking up some college text books from courses I was not able to take in history.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

Mometrix is the new name for Mo-Media. There has been some discussion here of products from this company before. IIRC most who have tried their products have been disappointed.

IMHO flash cards are fine if you are trying to memorize something specific. The question is whether it is worth trying to memorize what is on them.

My suggestion would be to roll your own study guide. Start with Test at a Glance document on the Praxis web site as an outline. Then fill it in with detail from print and web resources until you feel comfortable.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

I've generally found that at least half of the usefulness in flash cards is the process of making them myself.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2009

I agree on making one's own, mollydoll. In addition, for social studies one good approach is to use the flashcards to help one construct a narrative that leads up to a given historical event (one or more causal chains, if you will) and then leads from it (one or more chains of consequences). Since flashcards are not inherently ordered, this exercise can help the user see connections that were perhaps not so obvious before.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

I agree. Funny thing. I used to be the queen of making flash cards, but now that I am taking college classes again, I found that I am learning more by NOT making flash cards. I study a section, and then, in my mind, pretend that I am teaching the material to a junior high class. Seems to really help as I try to make the content easy for them to understand and the reasoning behind it, the why and the how part.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2009

That works really well too, Peachy.