Flannel Board

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Dec 28, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

Has anyone used a flannel board? How useful was it?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

When I taught in a preschool setting, I used one quite often. We laid out stories on them, displayed our scheduled and other circle time information on them, worked with numbers and sets on them.

Now, if I had a magnetic white board, I might not have needed a flannel board....so it really depends what you have available to you.

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 28, 2010

I also prefer my magnetic white board over my flannel board. I love to make my own pieces and it is SO much easier to photocopy on cardstock (or paper and laminate) than create on felt or fusing. Also, pieces fall off the flannel board more readily.

5. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

I use my flannel board everyday even though it's old skool and I'm in my 30s :lol:. I use it for these songs: 5 Little Ducks, 5 Little Hot Dogs, balloon song, shapes song, twinkle traffic light, and Little Mouse. You can youtube for felt stories/songs. Have fun!

6. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Dec 29, 2010

I love my flannel board and use it all the time. You can buy pellon (fusing fabric) at a craft store and run that through your printer. I use it for story telling, songs, games, counting, etc.

7. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

I have 3 year olds in my class and wondered how a flannel board would work out. So do alot of you use magnetic whiteboards or do you not use anything like remotely like that in your teaching?

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 29, 2010

When I write for the kids I do it on a piece of paper with the markers or pencils they can use. This way they see me do what they do....model.

When I use magnetic letters I use a cookie sheet with white contact paper on it to recreate a magnetic white board. But that is only when we are pre reading.

I do use flannel boards, but not every day. Some story retelling lends itself to the board for the kids. So if it is the story that we will be "memorizing" and hooking our theme/lesson to that usually gets made into flannel and stored in the back of the book.

I also use it for counting - like find the #1 and put one snow man next to it....then the #2 and two snowmen. There are a lot of ways to do this, but i do it on the flannel often.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

When I taught PreK, I used the flannel board A LOT..I looooved making the flannel pieces to go with different stories and rhymes. After using in a circle time or small group, I would put the pieces in a basket and use as a center. Great for oral language.

10. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 2, 2011

I love the flannel board and still encourage teachers to use one.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

Annetxa-so what did you decide? Will you be adding "increase flannel board usage in the classroom" to your list of New Years Resolutions?

12. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Jan 9, 2011

Yes, I just ordered a flannel board and look forward to using it. I am needing to figure out either how to make characters for it or buy them. The flannel board I am purchasing is a combination white/dry erase, magnetic, and flannel board so I can do lots with it.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

Right now, my flannel board has snowmen to assemble... I have felt circles in 3 sizes, scarves, hats, arms, triangle carrot noses, and black shapes for eyes, mouth, buttons, etc. The kids LOVE laying with the snowmen pieces (and it gives them practice before they have one to assemble on paper later this week).