FL Teachers Help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by AnnNorCal, Aug 7, 2014.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

Hello Foreign Language Teachers,

I'm teaching 4 levels of Spanish for non-native speakers. It's overwhelming to have 4 preps, but I'm trying. Today I just found out I'm getting an exchange student in my combo advanced class. He is fluent and I personally think it is a waste of time since he could be taking something more interesting. I honestly don't know what to do with him. Yes, he can help out sometimes but then the group I'm not working with gets loud and off task. I will have him do some presentations on his country, but of course not every day.

So I'm thinking I will have him do like independent study and have him do a lot of reading and he can give me an oral report in English. It would be boring for him, but to be honest I am stretched to the limit with other stuff. What do you suggest?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2014

Can you have him tutor small groups of students, or one-on-one?

Could he do an ongoing research project on a topic of his choice (something he's interested in?).

I agree this is a tough one and having multiple preps is rough -- on that tangent, I recommend trying to "double-dip" on your planning as much as you can, reusing activity and project ideas for different levels with differentiation.

It won't always be perfect but it will help you stay sane!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2014

Where is he coming from? He isn't a native Spanish speaker, correct?

You could start by explaining what you will be doing in your classes and asking him if he'd like to do that or something else. Perhaps he could select some Spanish-language novels and do a sort of lit review in Spanish.

I had an exchange student in my class last year who had studied my language for 5 years; they placed him in my level 2 course. I expected him to be light years beyond my students, but he still struggled with simpler things like spelling. I had prepared for him to do an independent study, but he ended up just staying on track with the rest of the class. It was good for him and I think he learned quite a bit. My point is that your student might have some areas of improvement that could be addressed via regular coursework with his peers.

5. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

Thanks for your suggestions.:)