FL Hiring Season?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachMathNJ, Feb 23, 2014.

1. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Feb 23, 2014

I'm looking to apply to teaching positions in FL. I am not seeing too much posted for the 2014-2015 school year; can anyone tell me when FL tends to begin hiring for the upcoming school year?

Thanks!

3. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 24, 2014

In my district, principals are required to notify year 0-3 experienced teachers by the first of May as to whether or not their contract will be renewed. Sometimes as late as the last day of school these teachers will find out whether or not they are hired back for the next year. New hires could get something as late as the second or third week in September. Usually new hires are given consideration in late June early July after the new physical year has started. So, to answer your question, late February is way too early for any new postings for the 2014-2015 school year.

4. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Feb 24, 2014

That is exactly the answer I was looking for; thanks!

5. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 24, 2014

Keep in mind that the Florida Legislature passed a law stating that the school year could start no earlier than two weeks before Labor Day. Most districts in the state follow that law to the T. If hired, be ready to move quickly.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2014

There is another alternative for you. You can apply right now for open positions that districts need to fill until the end of the year. If you get hired and do a good job, you would be considered for a position next year before new hires.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2014

Just want to add that my particular district doesn't do much hiring in July. June is when jobs are posted and hopefully filled; August is crunch time. July is when most Ps take their vacation.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2014

Interesting how different districts in the same state do things differently. My district amps up hiring right through June, July, and August. I'm thinking it's because they hire many hundreds of teachers each year and that takes a while.