Fixing mistakes of others

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Bliss, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Oct 20, 2008

2 weeks ago, my students took a test in their music class. One of my students missed the test because she was sick and had to retake it the following week when she had music class again. She forgot about the test when she had that class resulting in a failing grade. When I picked up my students from music class, the teacher announces to me IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE CLASS, "Um..."Sally" failed her test. She said she forgot to study." This was totally inappropriate and I could see that "Sally" was totally embarrassed.

She went home and told her mom about how the music teacher embarrassed her. Her mom came to me screaming her head off about this teacher. Unfortunately, the music teacher was not in school today, so the mom could not talk to her. The mom was so furious, so I told her that I would ask the music teacher if "Sally" could retake the test. What if the music teacher says no? Any advice on this situation? I'm so mad that this teacher used such poor judgment!!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2008

The music teacher was totally out of line. I would ask, since you already promised to do so.

If the answer isn't what the mom wants, suggest she either take it up with the teacher herself, or go to administration.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 20, 2008

Really, the only thing you can do is direct the parent to the music teacher. If she's not there, tell the parent you will leave a message for the teacher to call her and you understand she's upset, but you can't fix the situation,nor should you have to speak to the teacher on the parent's behalf.

5. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Oct 20, 2008

I agree... stay out of it. Give the parent the music teacher's extention and tell them to call her directly.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2008

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hate it when things like this happen.

I think you should talk to the music teacher. Why? Because you're mad. And you have every right to be -- the music teacher is messing with one of your students. And she violated a federal act, which puts funding for the school at risk.

You should avoid broadcasting this to the mom, though. "I understand why you're upset" is about as much as you should say, other than encouraging her to go to the music teacher and/or administration.

The music teacher should really be apologizing to this student, IMHO.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 20, 2008

I agree with 3 Sons - I would assure the parent that you will talk to the teacher and make sure it doesn't happen again. Then address your concerns with the music teacher.

It's funny that I read this today because I had a student come crying out of computer lab this afternoon because apparently the substitute told the 5-year olds they could go wherever they wanted to on the computer (which made me mad because they have a specific program they use, they can log themselves in and everything). Apparently somehow she clicked on some movie that was scary to her. I envision a call was probably made by the parent when the student got home today - I know as a parent I would be wondering what happened. Unfortunately, it was completely out of my control. All I could do was let the adminstration know she probably wasn't a good sub to utilize in the future.