Five year licences for teachers!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Jun 30, 2009.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

Announced today by our soon to be former Government. Apparently an idea we are going to copy off the USA!

What does this entail?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

After the 5 years is up, you will have to reapply for your licenses. Many times this just means you pay some money to have it reissued.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

In Texas, we also have to have so many hours of continuing education. I think it's 150 hours for each 5 years before we are allowed to renew. We started this in the 90's. There are a lot of people that have life-time certification.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

I have permanent certification. In NJ we are required to accrue 100 hours of professional development every 5 years which in my district is EASY to do without spending a dime (in-service, district workshops, etc). Don't know what happens if you don't get the 100 hours, I've never heard of anyone who didn't make it.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Same type of program for most teachers in Indiana too. Although recent grads are held to a much high standard when renewing thier licenses. New grads have to submit portfolio which resemble student teaching reports.

The hardest thing for when renewing is keeping up with the paperwork to document my hours. It really isn't a bad thing.

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

In our state, you have to take graduate level classes to maintain your licensing eligibility. I believe that it is 5 credits during that 5 year period.

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

So basically we have to prove that we are good enough to do our job!!! This could cause strikes in the UK.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2009

In our district we have to accrue 105 hours in a 5 year period, pay the fee, and renew. Regular school inservice each year is usually more than 30 hours, so it's not tough to do. I know a teacher who didn't accrue enough hours. Her license was not renewed. I assume that teachers in your country have to attend meetings and trainings at school on a regular basis. Here, they would count towards your renewal. It has nothing to do with proving your ability. Attendance at the meetings is all that counts.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

This cracks me up :lol: One of the best website I have EVER found for teaching resources for my World History class is from the UK. I do have difficulty with the grade levels because they are really different from ours and some type of notebook they use with a very specific name.

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

Yes we have in service training. 20 years ago the Government took a week off our holidays and now we have to do 5 days 'training' every year. In my 20 years I have attended over 100 such days. I can only recall 1 of them, the rest have been forgotten (if they everactually made it into my memory). It is one thing making us train but when no resources whatsoever are provided then the training is organised by the school management team. Usually this is used to gain them promotions rather than give us anything remotly useful. We sometimes get a free lunch, occasionally it is edible!

If you fancy discussing this or other topics with Uk teachers then you will find a forum at www.tes.co.uk. You have to sign in but is is free and you won't get spammed. However beware, we are not as fluffy over there as you are on here!

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

I have an Indiana Life License, but I believe all professionals in any category owe it to their clientele to keep taking classes and attending seminars, etc. every chance we get. Whether we are discussing a person or a pond, if it doesn't keep moving, it gets stagnant and starts to stink, and what good is it then?

Would you want your doctor caring for you via standards of the 1960's? The same goes for educators.

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

We reapply every 5 years for a new license. We have to do 100 hours of classes on top of our teaching for 5 continuous years. It use to be free now it's $60. And last year they found out that the schools hadn't fingerprinted people who taught a long time ago. They found about 15 felons. So now they want us to be fingerprinted and record searched when we get our license at an expense of $65. Our state union is not buying it, they want the state to pay for fingerprinting. It's free if you go to a police station!! Now it'll be $125 ever 5 years to renew!!

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

These classes, are they in school time or do you have to give up your free time to do them?

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

Some inservice classes are offered during school time. Many are on your own time but very often you get paid to take them.

16. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

What topics are usually covered during the continuing education sessions?

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

In our state, it is $25 and 150 hours of CEUs. Our PD is registered thru the state and as you complete a course, you have to evaluate the course online, and then you are credited for this course. Your CEU hours are documented with the state and you can easily keep track of your hours.

blazer~In our district, some are during school and some are not. For those that are outside of school time, we receive a stipend.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

I think in FL it's 300 in-service hours. I can't remember how many credit hours they'll accept in exchange. Also $75 to reapply and $57 to be re-fingerprinted.

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

We actually have to pay to take them! I take the math classes where you get books or supplies.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

Our qualifications are permanent. Although we are encouraged to continue our professional development, it is not mandated. (It is, however, part of our evaluations). New school board initiatives are addressed during staff or divisional meetings or during Professional Development days. Our board offers many free workshops, both during school the school day and after school. We don't receive any stipend for attendance at professional development workshops or courses--additional qualifications, which are university courses, may move us up on the salary grid.

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

It's a mixture of the two. You have duty hours and non-duty. Non-duty means it wasn't during school. As someone has already mentioned, here in Texas, we have to do 150 hours, but that includes Professional Development days by the school and the district and any workshops you attend. You can als take graduate courses which are worth, like, 18hours each or something, but you have to pay for the courses yourself.

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

In our state, it's a $10 fee and 6 credits. That's not hours, it's credits. I don't know how many hours that works out to be. Many of our hours can be obtained during normal training that we'd be attending, no matter what, or via other means (working on a curriculum committee, hosting a student teacher, teaching an in-service training, etc.)
    Kim