Five Senses Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 18, 2006

We are about to do two weeks on the Five Senses. I have lots of activities, games, books, and center ideas.

I have NO art/craft ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Oct 18, 2006

Craft Ideas:

For all 5 senses

Make a texture book

For Feel

Trace a hand and glue a texture on each finger

For Sound

Make a musical instrument (a drum, a bell wristband, shakers, tamborines,

Drum Craft
    Materials Needed:
    Empty container of oatmeal, instant potatoes, or other tin food can.
    1 1/2 pieces of construction paper
    crayons, markers, or whatever else to decorate the drum

Tape the lid closed. Tape the pieces of construction paper onto the container. Wrap it around the container. Tape. Decorate the construction paper. Play some music and play the drums or just let the child play with it.

To hang it around your neck (especially if you are in a marching band), punch holes in the bottom of the container, and put a long piece of yarn, string, etc. through both holes.

Shaker Crafts

Toilet Paper Shaker
    Use an empty toilet paper roll. Tape one end using masking tape. Fill with some rice and/or beans. Tape the other end with masking tape. Cover both ends with a piece of round construction paper. Tape. Cover the rest with construction paper. Tape. Decorate. Make music.

Note: For your shakers, you can cover the toilet paper roll roll with contact paper and use round pieces of contact paper to cover the ends.

Juice Can Shaker
    Clean and dry a frozen juice can and lid. Fill with some rice and/or beans. Place the lid back onto the juice container. Secure with masking tape. Cover both ends with a piece of round construction paper. Tape. Cover the rest with construction paper. Tape. Decorate. Make music.

Egg Shaker
    Place rice, beans, etc. inside a plastic egg. (Seal with tape or a hot glue gun.) Decorate with paint, markers, etc. or they can be plain.

Plastic Cup Shaker
    Place some rice, beans, etc. into a clear plastic cup. Decorate a round piece of paper. Tape it on the top (use wide clear packaging tape).

Tambourine
    Decorate a paper plate the way you would like it to look. You can tape strips of construction paper or crepe to it. Fold the paper plate in half and fill it with beans or rice. Have an adult staple it closed. Shake and tap your tambourine.

For Taste:

Bake cookies! They can actually get all 5 senses in on this one. And it's fun and yummy!

For Sight:

Do artwork on neon colored paper.

Make binoculars with 2 toilet paper rolls hot glued together. Punch a hole on each side and loop and piece of yarn so they can hang them around their necks. Decorate!

I have more, but dinner is ready. We just finished 5 senses 2 weeks ago, so I'll definitely post the rest of our crafts for you after I feel the family. :)

4. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Oct 18, 2006

Okay... I'm done with dinner! :)

FOR TOUCH:

Mix sand with finger paint and let them go to town painting. My kids loved this one!!!

FOR HEARING:

Paint to the beat of music. Also fun is the let them splat the paint to each beat. If you choose that one I'd suggest doing it outside. :)

For Sight and Smell:

Make playdough at home and bring it in white. First show them how the food coloring changes the color of the playdough.... mix it up well and then pass around. Let them smell it and feel it. Then drop some peppermint extract into it and mix it up... pass around again. My kids smelled it before we ever even passed it around. LOL! And now weeks later we are really enjoying our peppermint scented playdough in class.

For Smell:

Use scented markers for all coloring activities.

5. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 18, 2006

Awesome ideas MsAnn!! Thank you!!

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

Hearing Activity: Make musical instruments
    Materials:
    · Plastic Eggs
    · Rice and Beans
    · Scotch Tape
    · Cassette Tape of Music
    Help the children make shakers using the materials provided. Play the cassette tape of music and let the children sing and play their instruments!

Seeing Art Activity: Rainbow Mobiles
    Materials:
    · Paper Plates, cut in half (1 per child)
    · Paper Streamers
    · Tape
    · Crayons
    Ask the children if they have ever seen a rainbow. Tell them that a rainbow happens when light shines through tiny raindrops and is bent. The light bends in certain ways that make it glow in different colors and form a rainbow in the sky. Make colorful rainbow mobiles by having the children color the paper plate rims and attach streamers to it. Then, loop a piece of yarn through the top to make a mobile.

Seeing Art Activity: Visors
    Materials:
    · Sun-visors, 1 per child
    · Stickers
    Talk with the children about the importance of protecting your eyes from the sun. Help the children decorate the sun-visors with stickers and wear them home to help protect their eyes.

Smelling Craft: Sweet Flower
    Materials:
    · Precut flower shapes, 1 set per child
    · Cotton Balls
    · Spray Cologne
    · Glue
    · Plain Paper, 1 per child
    Help the children put the shapes together to form a flower on their papers. Help them glue the pieces on. Next, put glue on the cotton for them and help them stick the cotton to the center of their flowers. Help the children spray the cologne on their flowers, then set aside to dry well until time to go home.

Touching Activity: Finger painting
    Materials:
    · Finger paint
    · Plain Paper
    · Bucket of Water
    · Paper Towels
    · Garbage Bag Cover Ups
    Cover the children's clothing with the garbage bags and then let them finger paint. Use the bucket of water and paper towels to clean up. Take the children to the bathroom to clean up more if necessary. Place the paintings in the window sills to dry.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 19, 2006

8. RaeLynn

RaeLynn Rookie

Oct 19, 2006

I know this is not an art activity but I am teaching my preschool students about our five senses and here is a song that my kids love.

Five Senses Song
    This song helps to reinforce learning about the senses and the corresponding body part.

Five Senses
    (Tune: Where is Thumbkin)

Five senses, five senses
    We have them. We have them.
    Seeing, hearing, touching,
    Tasting and smelling.
    There are five. There are five.

I point to the parts of the body as I sing the song. The kids love it, know their 5 senses and their parts of the body that correspond to each sense.

9. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Oct 19, 2006

For smell you can use baby food jars and put different scents in each and let the kids guess which scent is in each one.

10. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

You can also use Film canisters for holding scents-

After we made our binoculars, we went on a "Nature Spy" walk outside- there is a great book by this title that I read first!

We also went to Krispy Kreme doughnuts for a field trip- we got to see/hear the doughnuts being made; touch the sticky, warm doughnut and our cool lemonade cup; and we, of course, got to SMELL! MMMM! It really IS a feast for the senses!

11. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 22, 2006

Art - smelly paints, just add extract to the various colors.

Sand paper pictures. Place various shapes of sand paper taped to the table and let them use crayons to rub over them.

Texture painting-add rice, popcorn, bird seed, sand, and gravel to paint and let the children paint. Rub over the textures when they are dry.

Use descriptive words throughout the day to describe how things feel.

Wet and dry sand side by side at a table to let them draw their name or just draw in. Ask them what they notice is different about each sand pile.

Make textured playdough for them to model with. I just added sand and birdseed to two different colors

12. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 25, 2006

MsAnn,

We made the binoculars today - they turned out really cute. I hot glued the tp rolls together, then covered them with a piece of black paper and put on an orange yarn string. Then I had some halloween foam stickers that the children used to decorate them, they really liked it.

I'm about to make up some playdough now. I bought some pepermint, orange and strawberry extract to use tomorrow.

I wanted to ask, have you ever given the children each a little bir of playdough and let them knead in the food coloring? I was thinking of doing that, and then letting them pick their choice of extract to knead in too. I didn't know if the food coloring would stain their hands too much?? Can I put lotion or something on their hands first to prevent staining?

13. ITeachCanDoKidz

ITeachCanDoKidz New Member

Oct 30, 2006

Sight!

BINOCULARS ~ Use 2 TP tubes (per child). Before the children arrive, hot glue each set of two together. Let the children decorate them during art/craft time. (We have used anything from washable markers to glitter glue to decorate them.) Then, go on a nature walk! The children will love exploring with their new creations. You can even hole punch each side and tie yarn on for a makeshift lanyard to hold the binoculars. Cool!
    :)

14. WolfMama

WolfMama New Member

Oct 30, 2006

Get models or puzzles with the appropriate part. I know that they have models of the skeleton to put together. They must have other ones as well.

15. WolfMama

WolfMama New Member

Oct 30, 2006

For touch you could get some fake fur pieces and cut them to the shapes of animals on a coloring page. For hearing make paper cup rattles, LOL, or tamborines. For sight get some black light poster paint and make black light posters. For taste, make no bake cookies of some sort.

16. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 2, 2006

I never did the five senses before but now that it is one of our VA learning blocks I thought I would do the Five Senses of Christmas. Anyone have any good ideas to go along with this unit.