Five Doors of Poetry- POEM HELP?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeacherJ4life, Apr 12, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 12, 2008

Hey everyone,
    I am a student teacher in a first grade class and for the writing workshop lesson I need to teach the children how to write imaginative poems. However, we usually model it by reading real poems that reflect the topic. I asked my CT if she had a poem and she said for me to look them up. Any help is appreciated.

3. MsX

MsX Companion

Apr 12, 2008

I'm a little unsure of what type of poem you're looking for. I would think that LOTS of poems are imaginative.

If there's a particular type of poem that you're looking to teach and can't find a poem that reflects what you want, why not try writing one yourself? When I first started teaching the idea of actually writing something like that myself scared me, but I realized that if i'm asking my first graders to do it, I better be willing to try it too! And the kids always think my stories/poems are great (even when I dont think so!).

4. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 12, 2008

I meant to say ones that might reflect the imagination of a first grader. I wanna give them a few samples and was actually considering writing one myself