Fitting Work Time In Each Day

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Tiger09, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Tiger09

Tiger09 New Member

Aug 13, 2009

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone else has trouble fitting everything in that you are required in one day. Our district wants us to use literacy centers during guided reading, we use "Treasures" (MacMillan) curriculum. The problem I have is we have 90 minutes in which to fit in a spelling, phonics, writing, and reading lesson with workbook pages, and guided reading groups. Our afternoon in filled with one hour of math and 45 minutes for Social Studies or Science, recess etc. I have figured out how to do my guided reading groups while the rest of the class rotates in centers. We see 3 reading groups per day for 20 minutes. That leaves 30 minutes to teach whole group lessons in ELA and worktime. That is not enough time. It baffles my mind to try to figure out how to get all their work done. If we just did whole group instruction, I could fit it all in, but then there would be no time for guided reading/ center time. Just wondering what anyone else has done that runs into this. Thanks

3. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

Treasures takes a lot of time. We do as much as we can but can't cover every sheet etc... and do individual instruction and small reading groups/centers... The skills are taught some of the sheets are done..

I also use the sheets as homework... as long as students know the skill. We switch for Social Studies and Science so it's every other day.. What's hard for me is when other students are pulled out for services... Good Luck!

4. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I know that it's hard to fir it all in. Inever used Treasures, but I have had to fit in whole class and 3 guided reading groups into 95 minutes. I taught what I could during whole class, and sometimes made my groups 15 minutes each instead of 20. (OK, OK...it was a small sacrifice, since it bought me another 15 minutes of whole class time.) You just need to make sure when the kids ARE in groups that it is targeted instruction.

I also tried to fit whole class lessons into other subjects. For example, when I didn't have time to teach friendly letters in language arts, I had the kids write pen pal letters in social studies. Find all the nouns or make comparisons using similes in science.

It's a lot of work and a pain in the "you-know-where" but it can be done. Good luck!

5. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I use Tresasures and I meet with 2 groups for 20 minutes and 1 group when we are in the computer lab. Also I do my own writing at a different time. I also have sent the sheets home as homework or morning work. You really need to pick and choose what works well in your classroom from Treasures.

6. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

Completely agree!!! :thumb: