Fitness Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by njteach41, Jan 17, 2008.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jan 17, 2008

I've been going to the gym, and I do enjoy going and working out. I am feeling really good and I want to keep this momentum going. However, I am afraid that maybe I'm not doing all I can do, or the right sequence to lose the weight. In two week I have lost 3.6 pounds (i do weight watchers too). I've been going for a long time and have lost 77 pounds, I have about 20-25 left to go, and it's gotten extremely hard through this last stretch of weight loss.

What can I do at the gym to maximize the weight loss and not become bored. I tried a class and it was way too intense, and my schedule doesn't allow me to take the low impact courses. How much cardio should I be doing, how should I mix it up?

I usually do an hour of cardio on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, (sometimes sundays). Usually 30 minutes on one machine, then 15 minutes on two other cardio machines. Then on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I do about 30 minutes of weight training (me selecting what machines look good and aren't too scary lol).

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fitness expert of buff, this is all a recent habit I have picked up. I finally got into working out and wanting to lose the last of this weight. Any suggestions?

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2008

Congrats....... you've lost a tremendous amount of weight so far. As for cardio, you have a fairly aggresive program now (as for as "time" spent on cardio machines go).

Just dont quit....... the final 20-25 lbs will go....:)

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2008

One other thing....... for your weigth training you should be using ligtht weights and high reps...

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2008

One other thing....... for your weight training you should be using light weights and high reps...

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 17, 2008

Congrats on losing the weight! I don't know if you have a few extra bucks, but for those last 20-25 pounds, you should seriously consider getting a personal trainer (PT).

For yrs, I've wanted a PT, but figured it was a waste of $ because I figured I knew what to do, I just had to do it! But in Dec. 2006, I finally got myself one & I'm so thrilled I finally did. My PT had me doing things I'd NEVER dream of doing myself at the gym. I lost weight & had never regretted it for a second. I kept a PT for almost a half a year.

This is all the more perfect for you because you've passed that most difficult part, which is losing a great amount already. Now, for those last 20-25 pounds, you'll feel even more motivated & those pounds will really fly off & you'll be doing a variety of different things at the gym if you got a PT. I like male PTs because they seem to push you harder.

Get a PT, it's so incredibly worth it! You'll be glad you did!

7. Mrs_R

Mrs_R New Member

Jan 17, 2008

I totally agree with Ms.I. A personal trainer is equipped to help maximize your workouts and target what you need most. I also highly recommend one. If you can't afford one for any extended period of time, try once or twice to get the idea of what he/she says.

Good luck, and congrats on your success so far! That is incredible!

Mrs. R.

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 17, 2008

My suggestion is to try and find someone at your gym that can show you how to use all the weight machines, not just the ones that "don't look scary"... I did that at my gym and some of the more scary looking machines actually became some of my favorites!!! I don't know if it will help with weight loss but it might help you feel better?
    After that all I can say is "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!" (I love Finding Nemo!)

9. Mrs_R

Mrs_R New Member

Jan 17, 2008

Plus...if you are single, it is a great way to meet someone!!:lol:

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2008

I had lost 80 pounds doing Weight Watchers and working out, but now I've put some of it back on. I also taught aerobics classes for 2 years-I've become somewhat obsessed with working out. I have actually found that lifting heavy weights, short reps, is what helped me lose weight and get toned. Women are not going to bulk up-we're not capable of looking like a man-so don't worry about lifting too much. I taught weight classes and lifted heavy with my husband and I never got too big of muscles.

It's really hard for me to lose weight-the way that I finally lost the last amount of weight was to up the intensity of my workouts. Instead of running on 6.0 I started running on 6.5. I lost 10 pounds just from doing that alone. If your body is getting used to what you're doing-you have to change it! I've always found that running is the best way for me to lose weight. (Warning, obsessive comment coming....) I lost the most weight when I was running 5-10 miles a day and going to 1-2 aerobics classes a day also. I know it sounds like too much-but my wedding was coming up!

The last part of weight is the hardest-hang in there! Also talk to your Weight Watchers leader about what you can do-they're really helpful.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2008

I agree with uping the intensity of your workouts. Do what Far suggested: if you are doing a 6.0 degree on the treadmill go to 6.5. I was to going to suggest getting a PT as well. I know I talked with one at our gym, and she gave me some pointers that I never would have thought to do and I begin to see a big loss of weight.

Congrats on the weight you already lost. Our bodies get comfortable being a certain weight and when we begin to lose that weight, our body resists the change because it thinks there is something going on. Just push through that wall and the last 20 lbs will melt away.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2008

One of my tricks is to make a workout binder.
    I look through workout magazines (right now I subscribe to Fitness and Shape, but when I couldn't afford that, I just borrowed old issues from friends). I try the moves/ workouts they describe, and if I like it, I copy the page and put it in my binder.

I prefer high weight, lower reps, for toning up quick. But everyone's body is different.

13. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jan 17, 2008

all this is advice is great. i'm pretty strapped for cash right now, i'm a part time teacher's assistant looking for a full time teaching job... and i have a car payment and i'm paying for health benefits sooooo lol money is tight. maybe i'll pay for one session, get the advice and go from there.. that was great advice, thanks!!

i just got back from the gym. right now my stamina is pretty low so i'm working up to really going intense with the cardio. i did 30 minutes on the elliptical, then 35 on the bike. then i did what my gym calls a strive circuit. it's 9 weight machines in a circuit with different resitance. you do one set on each of the 3 resistane settings. so i do 12 reps for 3 sets, on 9 machines. it felt like a good workout to me.

i also like the idea of the fitness binder, gonna try that..

thanks all :)